PDA

View Full Version : comp. freezes when i try to open my clearnet webmail

gradebdan
04-08-2003, 09:25 PM
on 1st aug clearnet changed their webmail page appearance. since then when i try to open my emails the comp. freezes and i have to switch off at the wall. clearnet say i have a problem with my browser (ie5). i installed a clean version of ie6 from a cd but the same problem,...internet explorer "illegal operation....." and microsoft internet explorer (internal error......). i am now back on the ie5. clearnet want me to wait a few days until someone can address my problem !!!!
everything worked well till friday 1st aug. i also tried with zone alarm off but no different, please help.

KiwiTT
05-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Try this,

Install IE6 SP1
Install the latest JVM from Microsoft
Check your Security Settings for Internet is set for Medium.

gradebdan
05-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Hi Kiwitt
I am reluctant to go to IE6. According to Clearnet it is not as stable as IE5, plus they say they are using 5.
What is JVM?
My security settings are set to MED.
I can't be the only person with this problem????
When I ring Clearnet help desk there is a recorded message that says Clearnet webmail users may be experiencing problems with their webmail, technicians are trying to solve the problem.
I have heard this continually since 1st aug when my problems started.

gradebdan
05-08-2003, 10:25 PM
ps
Forgot to say I can use my Hotmail no problem, plus can do my internet banking but Winmx won't connect, this latter may not be associated with my main problem.

KiwiTT
06-08-2003, 11:15 AM
I can quite easily connect to my Clearnet new Webmail account with IE6 SP1 and Sun's Java

The latest Java Virtual Machine can be found at Sun (http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp)

Mike
06-08-2003, 02:07 PM
> I am reluctant to go to IE6. According to
> ng to Clearnet it is not as stable as IE5, plus they
> say they are using 5.

That's a load of tripe - there's nothing wrong with IE6, especially if you install the service pack for it (both should be available on almost any current PC magazine cover-disks). I have had less trouble with IE6 than I had with IE5.x

> When I ring Clearnet help desk there is a
> is a recorded message that says Clearnet webmail
> users may be experiencing problems with their
> webmail, technicians are trying to solve the
> problem.

Perhaps when you next talk to them tell them to put back the one that was there previously - "If it ain't broke, don't break it!" :D As far as I'm aware, there were no problems with the previous webmail (I don't use it that often, so I wouldn't know).

Mike.

stu140103
06-08-2003, 02:22 PM
> > I am reluctant to go to IE6. According to
> > ng to Clearnet it is not as stable as IE5, plus
> they
> > say they are using 5.
>
> That's a load of tripe - there's nothing wrong with
> IE6, especially if you install the service pack for
> it (both should be available on almost any current PC
> magazine cover-disks).

yeath.......right!!!, that is not a load of tripe!,

I agree with gradebdan & clear net there are still things wrong with IE 6.0 & IE 6.0 SP1 and it is still( in my option still very buggy, & I am waiting till IE 6.0 SP 2 + before I upgrade.)

> I have had less trouble with
> IE6 than I had with IE5.x

That is just your OS & your computer & How you had IE set-up & How your where looking after your computer etc….etc…

Because I have never had any problems with IE 5.5 & IE 5.5 SP2

Mike
06-08-2003, 08:46 PM
> yeath.......right!!!, that is not a load of tripe!,
> I agree with gradebdan & clear net there are still
> things wrong with IE 6.0 & IE 6.0 SP1 and it is
> still( in my option still very buggy, & I am waiting
> till IE 6.0 SP 2 + before I upgrade.)

Haven't been able to find a bug in it yet - which ones are you referring to?

> > I have had less trouble with
> > IE6 than I had with IE5.x
>
> That is just your OS & your computer & How you had IE
> set-up & How your where looking after your computer
> etc….etc…
> Because I have never had any problems with IE 5.5 &
> IE 5.5 SP2

So what? Maybe it's just your OS and computer and how you've got IE setup etc. too? Just because you've never had a problem with IE5.x and have had problems with IE6 it doesn't mean that everyone will have problems with IE6. I never said everyone will have problems with IE5.x, I'm just saying that I've found IE to run better since moving to IE6, and have no problem recommended an upgrade to others. If they (and you) want to stick with IE5.x that's fine too, as it works very well for people also.

I would be interested to know what problems you have with IE6?

Mike.

gradebdan
07-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Re Problems with IE6.
For some reason I could not do any internet banking when something happened to my IE6. No one could give me a solution so I delt. IE6 AND MY COMP RESET TO ITS' Default IE which was 5 now all that side works fine.I realise that there could be something amiss with my settings but do not know enough about these to correct ? them.