PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Wireless network......help!!!!

draftycloud
03-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi all,

Have been running around in circles trying to set up a wireless network at home, and then having salesmen trying to peddle me all kind of stuff!!!

First of all I am getting a JetLine connection from Xtra............a surety.......then the adventure begins.......

I know that I need a ADSL modem.......then connect this to a router.........which will then communicate with a wireless card on my desktop and another one on my laptop........this is where it gets confusing!!!

1) If I buy the Dynalink RTA300 ,ADSL, External , Ethernet Router, with a 4-Port 10/100Mbps Switch.....do I still need a Router? Or will this communicate with the wireless cards on the PC and laptop?

2) OR should I connect the above Dynalink modem to the Belkin F5D7230 Wireless router ? Is that an overkill?

3) What ADSL modem can I use to go wireless? and is there a ADSL modem out there that is compatible with a wireless router?

4) Do I really need an Access Point? ( actually what is one?!)

5) I understand that D-Link has a product , the DSL-604+, that is both an ADSL modem and wireless router ( a boon to all!), but is awaiting Telecom Approval..........

Thanks for reading through all this and thanks in advance for any help I can get on this. Happy surfing!

Lohsing
03-08-2003, 06:42 PM
What you need is a Dynalink RTA300W router. It has a built in access point in it.

The RTA300 is one without the wireless access point.

Lo.

draftycloud
03-08-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is the Dynalink RTA 300W a modem as well as a router? Will it then communicate with the wireless cards on the PC and Laptop?
Thanks again

Jen C
03-08-2003, 07:13 PM
Here are the details on the RTA300W (http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/rta300w.htm). You may find this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=37712&message=184513&q=rta300w#184513) of interest as well.

draftycloud
03-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the mail Jen. So all I need is this Dynalink modem/router and the wireless cards for the PC and Laptop? Cheers