PDA

View Full Version : Windows Messenger...

caffy
02-08-2003, 04:42 PM
(Yes I am aware of other threads on this topic, but they don't really answer my question...)

My problem is that I want to stop Windows Messenger 'apparently' signing me on. I say 'apparently' because whenever I click on MSN 6 and am signing in, a window comes up "You have been signed out of Windows Messenger, because you signed in at another location".

Where is the little bugger hiding?? and how can i stop it loading up invisibly? as it seems to be invisible!

I haven't got my Windows Messenger running in the tray next to the clock, and certainly haven't got 'automatically sign in' enabled on Win Messenger.

I've been told that you cannot remove it, because it comes with XP, but there must be an easy way to get around that.

J ZEP
02-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi Caffy, don't know if this will help - but i had the same problem with win mess auto logging in but not being visible after and update to win mess and using N.A.V 2003 pro - it had previously worked no probs. Anyway if you happen to use N.A.V too?Kame gave me the solution
Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=35440&message=166133&q=windows+messenger#166133)
HTH:-)

caffy
02-08-2003, 05:05 PM
cheers for that, have tried those things Kame said.

Will wait and see if the problem keeps occuring or not (which it shouldn't do now!) :)

caffy

J ZEP
02-08-2003, 05:08 PM
OOps forgot..... Also there is a FAQ Susan did on removing OR disabling it in XP:
FAQ #46 How do I Removing Windows Messenger in WinXP?
Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=21837)

Jen C
02-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks for that link J ZEP with Kame's advice. :)

I have been hunting high and low for where Win Messenger was loading from (disabled all the usual places), as each time I opened up Trillian after booting up the PC, I got the same message about being signed out etc ...

I disabled the Nav2003 Pro option to protect Instant Messenger, rebooted and this time Trillian open up without the usual signed out message. It never bothered me sufficiently in the past to uninstall the program which I knew was the other option.

Cheers
Jen

caffy
02-08-2003, 07:14 PM
After looking at the FAQ by Susan B,

I was wondering if the lines were right.

The original line in the SYSOC.INF file needs to be modified slightly to remove win messenger etc..

anyway the original line is:
msmsg=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

to

m smsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

I was wondering if the space between the 'm' and the 's' is deliberate? Also with the double ',,' between 'inf' and '7'.

Please can someone let me know, so I'm doing the right thing with modifying the file to get rid of Windows Messenger.

Cheers,
caffy

Fire-and-Ice
02-08-2003, 09:12 PM
> m smsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7
>
> I was wondering if the space between the 'm' and the
> 's' is deliberate?

No, there should be no space.

Also with the double ',,' between
> 'inf' and '7'.

Yes, there should be a double ,, between the inf and 7. If you look carefully this is because the "hide" has been removed but still needs a "place holder" made for it.

> Please can someone let me know, so I'm doing the
> right thing with modifying the file to get rid of
> Windows Messenger.

You can (and probably should) always make a copy of the file you are changing in case things go wrong.

caffy
13-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Grrr!

It seems that Win Mess hasn't completely disappeared. After my last post here, there were no problems, and today for the first time, when I signed onto MSN Messenger, a window came up saying "you have been signed out of Windows Messenger bla bla bla"

Are there any other ways of removing Win Mess, apart from the ways I have tried before? They do not seem to be working.

cheers,
caffy

Jester
13-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Hiya Caffy

Take a look on Xtra Help, for messenger

http://messenger.xtramsn.co.nz/Help/

Specifically here:

http://messenger.xtramsn.co.nz/Help/#LQ3

You may find something there?

J.

vk_dre
13-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Run the line of code below in the run dialog and Windows Messenger will uninstall

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

cheers,
v.K

caffy
13-08-2003, 08:12 PM
have typed up that line in "run"

*fingers crossed* that it actually works this time :)

ta,
caffy