PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown shortcut--What about lock workstation?

hamstar
01-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Y'know how you can make a shortcut to shut your computer down:

New>Shortcut - c:\windows\user.exe /exit or something I've forgetten
(if someone could refresh me that would be nice)

Anyways I was wondering if on win2k I could use a lock workstation command to keep my pesky brother from jumping on my computer the second I leave it.

Cheers

Chilling_Silently
01-08-2003, 05:50 PM
Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and then Enter.. Its locked, but not done via a shortcut... :-)

hamstar
01-08-2003, 06:40 PM
yeah see, thats what I'm trying to get around. instead of moving my fat fingers that far i wanna single click on desktop x an its locked. :D;)

PoWa
01-08-2003, 07:13 PM
1. Right click on the desktop, select New > Shortcut.
2. Enter rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation as the shortcut.
3. Name it Lock Computer.
4. Right click and choose Properties.
5. Click on "Change Icon"
6. Search through shell32.dll in the System32 directory and find an appropriate lock icon.

That works in Xp, not sure about win2k, but try it anyway

whetu
01-08-2003, 07:14 PM
as always, google is your friend:
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=lock+desktop+shortcut&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

and within the first 5 results you have this from microsoft themselves:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313884

which states:

SUMMARY
You can create a shortcut on your taskbar that immediately locks your computer. When you click this shortcut, you achieve the same the result as you would if you were to press CTRL+ALT+DEL, and then click Lock Computer.

Create a Shortcut on the Taskbar
1. Right-click the desktop, point to New, and then click Shortcut.
2. Type %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation in the Type the location of the item box, and then click Next.
3. Type lock computer in the Type a name for this shortcut box, and then click Finish.
4. Drag the new shortcut to the Quick Launch bar that is located next to the Start button.

NOTE: If the Quick Launch bar is not displayed, right-click an empty area on the taskbar, point to Toolbars, and then click Quick Launch.
5. If you right-click an empty area on the taskbar and you do not see the Toolbars option, click Lock the Taskbar.

whetu
01-08-2003, 07:20 PM
just a quick note, making a lock workstation shortcut for windowsXP is a waste of time:

windows key + L

hamstar
01-08-2003, 11:49 PM
doh, google
*smacks head*

Anywayz cheers fo that guys got what I needed.

Later