PDA

View Full Version : OT - Audio Cables are a mess

parry
31-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi this is a bit off topic, but some of you may have the same problem. The back of my stereo looks like spaghetti junction with cables going everywhere, so if I ever need to disconnect or muck around with any one componet it takes me ages to get things back the way they were.

Is there some sort of tagging thingy available so I can attach something to each end of a cable to indicate where it plugged into?

Chilling_Silently
31-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Post-It notes are good.. cut them up into about 3-4 strips!

If you dont have those, then blank white stickers can be cut to size and half wrapped around so there's a little sticking out for you to see, however it may be better to spend $3-4 on a pack of Post-It notes or the Flags!

parry
31-07-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks CS. Yeah I thought of those but they are likely to fall off. I wanted something a bit more permanent. Maybe someone uses an ingenious method. A staple or nail gun probably is not the answer :-)

somebody
31-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Plastic stickers work quite well. You just write on the stickers with permanent marker.

Graham L
31-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Plastic garden markers are good for that. You can tie them on with twist-ties (also from the garden department) of the Warehouse. (Punch a hole in the tag with a paper punch)

If you are fussy, you can buy cable ties with a label moulded as part of them. For a price. :D

parry
31-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Interesting ideas. thanks guys.

exLL
31-07-2003, 08:12 PM
What about tightly tying a piece of coloured string, (or cotton, or wool, or whatever), around each cable near each end. Snip it off short. Then make a chart on a piece of stiff cardboard and list what each one represents, and store it near the computer. If you run out of colours you could tie more than one ring around some of them, say red plus blue, then red plus white etc. It could be two separate rings or just twist both coloured threads together when tying.

somebody
31-07-2003, 09:49 PM
Try using different coloured Insulation tape strips to colour-code your cables. It might work, depending on how many cables you have.

marke
31-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Try this ....

Get some common-or-garden hose pipe (the nylex stuff or something that is nice and stiff and holds its shape). Cut some shortish lengths off it (around 2-3cm long), and then slit them down the side. You can then open them up to insert your cables, then let them close again. You need good stiff hose though ... otherwise you might have to secure with a bit of tape.

Those plastic ties are good too ... you know the clear plastic ones with a sort of ratchet arrangement? Not sure where you get them from though.

Have you asked at a HiFi shop? Bet they have things that are custom designed to solve this problem

Mark

Pheonix
31-07-2003, 11:09 PM
If using labels, they have a habit over time of straightening out and falling off. Found the best method was to use a label, but wrap it with sellotape. Pays to use the type that appears opaque when taken off the roll. The totally clear tape's glue goes hard over time and with a bit of movement comes undone as well.

somebody
01-08-2003, 08:06 AM
What if you wrapped the lables onto itself, so it's got a "tag" hanging off the cable? That works quite well.