PDA

View Full Version : download speed- again

effie C
31-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Hi,
Long ago I asked why my download speed is so slow ( mine is 3.7 bps - Smithie38 is about 6.and I was told that this was not too bad- I had to accept this as inevitable---
Now Smithie 38 tells me is download speed is 52 compared to my 31.8--as per the bottom tool bar in my XP windows- how can I improve on this - the modem is a 56 bps and is there a setting that I am missing"
I ihave 500Mhz CPU and 192 mg RAM
effie c

Odin
31-07-2003, 01:15 PM
That number at the bottom right hand corner is your Connection Speed not download and it is determined by your line quality and quality of your Telecom Exchange and distance from it. For a 56 k modem the fastest download speed possible (according to telecom) is about 6.5kb/s and for that you need to have a good connection, Although I have managed 11.2 consistantly before with my 56 k modem much to the horror and annoyance of telecom.

There are small tweaks you can do that may help your download speed but they won't do much. Contact Telecom and get them to to a line noise test on your line to see if there is any degradation. Also unplug your phones when you want to connect to the net and check the phone line cable to your modem.

Kame
31-07-2003, 01:19 PM
You could get the latest drivers, lower your bps from 115,000 in modem properties to the next one down.

Could try some modem tweaking programs.

effie C
31-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Hi thanks Odin and Kame- this crops up when my ego gets a kick - Smithie 38 is in a much newer suburb to me - and yet I have a brother in an even newer suburb in this city and he can only get the 3.7 download speed- which by inference rules out the age of Telecone's lines in my older suburb( about 30 years old
How do I download updated drivers?
effie c

KiwiTT
31-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Try Naviscope (http://www.naviscope.com) to make the best use out of your available speed.

yingxuan
31-07-2003, 04:09 PM
The odd thing is that my connection at the bottum right hand corner shows that my 56k modem is connecting at 115200bps.
Hmm doesn't seem right.Im using an external modem

godfather
31-07-2003, 04:16 PM
> The odd thing is that my connection at the bottum
> right hand corner shows that my 56k modem is
> connecting at 115200bps.

Thats a symptom of using the wrong driver.
Its reporting the speed that your PC connects to the modem, not the modem connect speed....

effie C
31-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi godfather- I think I should have come straight to you- at the moment my connect speed is 31.2 ( can that be adjusted? (Smithie 38 is 52) these on a 56 kps modem
second --that driver- how and what can I do to get this - I am using Xp , you just could be on the right track- keep em coming folks
effie c

godfather
31-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Sounds like a severe case of modem envy?

Your "connect speed" of 31.2 kb/s could be due to a number of things, some within your ability to influence and some not. Its the bandwith that the modem detects when it first connects, it "trains" to get a reliable connection. Noise on the line, excess loading of some phone equipment and line levels all play a part.

Firstly try with all other phone devices in the installation disconnected (including sky TV decoder, burglar alarms etc if you have one) from the telephone system. Sometimes telephones and such equipment can degrade the connection.

Check under your modem settings that you do not have any special commands that are forcing a slow connection.

You could also be one of the "unlucky" people that are on a Telecom "0+1" line, where they "digitally split" a line to get more customers on less wires down the street. That will limit you to around the speed you mention as well. Not much you can do about it, as Telecom only guarantee 9.6 kb/s as far as I know.

The good news is, a slower connect speed can give a more reliable connection sometimes, and not overly limit downloads. Sometimes higher connect speeds are optimistic and the modem has to resend info often when errors are detected, which limits the real throughput.

The download speeds you mention are still respectable.

As far as the driver, you need to know the exact make and model of modem, and visit the makers website for the latest XP driver.

effie C
31-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Hi,G F,
I went in and found the modem and it said "standard 56000kps modem"- nothing else - I am too old and dumb to be able to analyse this , short of taking the puta apart and reading it - a friend who was following this is dropping round in a couple of days and will try and get a better setting / or install another modem - I understand they are about $30 odd- it would be nice to get better than 31.2 when others are so much faster- sour grapes? probably :-(
Will let all know
effie c

godfather
31-07-2003, 10:48 PM
You may need to take the cover off to actually see the modem.
It is obviously an internal PCI modem / winmodem / soft modem type device.

If you are going to buy a new one, please consider an external RS232 (serial) connected Hardware modem (not USB).

They are not dependent on the CPU and subject to software issues, and are likely to give a better connection, plus very stable. But they cost a lot more. I would never buy an internal PCI modem again. When they go well, they are fine. When they don't they are a sod of a thing.

Basically a PCI modem is a bunch of components that your CPU controls to process every bit of data, where a Hardware modem has all the intelligence built in, and will function despite the main CPU getting busy or not.

effie C
01-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Hi GF - I think I will revert to Win 98 and stay as I was - slow and regular- I enjoyed this trial but sure as hell cannot afford a new fast puta with all the goodies- if not XP
I presume the drivers will not be upgradable in that w 98SE - or are they?
- as my opening headline title said in this string "download speed - again"- oh well such is life- it must be great to be rich-
thanks anyway
:-)
effie c

yingxuan
01-08-2003, 11:02 AM
The funny about my modem is that it connects at 115200bps.When i download the modem driver for my external modem it cannot be use.Well it works and it connects at around 43k.but after 3 minutes the connection just stops and won't respond so i have to use windows 98 se default setting which fits with all diamond modem

godfather
01-08-2003, 11:20 AM
> The funny about my modem is that it connects at
> 115200bps.

It does not connect at 115,200 bps. Your PC connects to the modem at that speed, the modem itself connects to the internet at the normal 40 - 50 kBs. With the wrong driver it just reports the PC port speed instead of the modem connect speed. If it works fine, live with it, but don't be fooled that you are connecting at the higher speed.

yingxuan
04-08-2003, 10:04 AM
yea i know.its up load speed is about 2k.download speed is about 5 to 4.5k