PDA

View Full Version : No Audio

B.M.
31-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Hereís a real curly one for all you champs.

Problem: No Audio, not a sound.

Background: I was given this computer minus HDD, manuals, set-up disks of any kind.

So, I installed a completely formatted 1.7 gig HDD and loaded win98SE from scratch.

After a struggle with the Video and Modem I have every thing working except the Audio.

Specifications: MB=Pro 283 Rev 3.1, Processor = AMD-K6-2/500 3D, Chipset = SiS540, Sound = SiS 7018 Wave, Ram = 64meg SDRAM. (everything except modem onboard)

So far Iíve hunted the Internet and used drivers downloaded from DriverGuide.com.

Currently, if I go to Settings / Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Sound Video and Game Controllers I get: Game Port Joystick
MPU-401 compatible
SiS 7018 Audio Driver
Wave Device for Voice Modem

If I double click on SiS 7018 Audio Driver / Properties / General Iím told ďThis Device is working properly. Under Resources Iím told Basic Configuration 0000,
IRQ 11
Memory Range DC112000 Ė DC112FFF
Input/Output range E000 Ė E0FF

Now Iíve just noticed that my old machine (which works perfectly) has the following under Sound Video and Games Controllers:
ES1868 Control Interface (WDM)
ES1868 Plug & Play Audio Drive (WDM)

Not sure of the relevance here as their totally different machines.

I should also mention that the CD ROM is working (it loaded windows) and it plays through the headset connection on the front of CD ROM. Iíve also checked and changed cable Analog Audio Ė MB.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Kame
31-07-2003, 01:36 PM
How are you testing sound? Turned the volume up on Windows/Speakers.

Might pay to make sure the drivers you installed are the correct ones, check the mobo manufacturer's site since they should provide all the drivers for the onboard peripherals.

You may need some config.sys information unless they dropped that in 98SE but I'm sure it was still required in that version.

Terry Porritt
31-07-2003, 02:30 PM
The acid test, BM, is to go into Control Panel-Sounds, click on an Event chose a sound file and see if the Play button is black or just greyed out.
If it's black and it plays silently, then the sound card or onboard chip is working and there is a hardware/connection problem. If it is greyed out then it is a driver/software problem.

B.M.
31-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys.

Terry, the button is there OK and when I click on it the stop button is activated for a second or two and then back to the play button.

Regretfully, all is accompanied by a deathly silence! :(

B.M.
31-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Speakers are ok on another computer Kame. (And buzz when you touch the end of the plug)

The speaker icon is in the system tray and the volume is full now (was half) and the mute box NOT ticked.

Itís almost like something is muting the system?

But what?

Terry Porritt
31-07-2003, 04:21 PM
I suppose the speakers are plugged into the speaker outlet socket and not into Line In or Mic ? :)

B.M.
31-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Yes Terry,

The speakers are plugged into the Green jack and I must confess in desperation I tried the blue and pink jacks without any luck.

I was assured I could do no harm??? :D

Peter H
31-07-2003, 05:04 PM
Going to Control panel - Multimedia, what is shown? Green socket is right - so are the speakers as you get a buzz. Sounds like M/B driver problem.
Bye

Peter H
31-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Meant to add, allthough I bought a new M/B with on-board sound - all the drivers etc, I never did get it to work - not that I tried for more than a few minutes, as I had my seperate Sound card ex old comp. A lot easier to install this & disable on board one.
Bye

B.M.
31-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Peter H,

Under Audio / Playback Preferred Device = SiS 7018 Wave
(I tried the ďuse any availableĒ option without success.)

Under Advanced = Speakers Desktop Stereo
Performance: Hardware Acceleration Full
Sample rate conversion Good

Peter H
31-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Umm - I presume that in Progs - Assecesories - entertainment - volume - None of the mutes are ticked? The multimedia settings appear OK.
Bye

Terry Porritt
31-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Going back to Control Panel-Multimedia, have a look under Devices-Audio Devices, and if it lists your audio device, right click and look at Properties.
Check that it says 'Driver is enabled and active', and that 'Use audio features on this device' is enabled too.

B.M.
31-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Done that Terry and affirmative on all counts.

Gill
01-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Did you try the ideas listed on the "no sound" thread?

B.M.
01-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Gill, yes I've had a look under "no sound" but got 1500 hits. Seems a common problem. :D

Peter, no mute boxes ticked in multimedia. :(

B.M.
01-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Update.

Iíve downloaded six or seven different drivers from different locations on Google with no luck. Some show no signs of working. Canít even get the play button in control panel/ sounds to show.

However, whilst uninstalling one driver I got a crackle out of the speakers. Not sure if that is good or bad?

I also went into CMOS set-up and found that the onboard Audio was activated. I deactivated it to see what happened and the play button in control panel/ sounds greyed out so I guess the BIOS is doing something.

Iíve just been wondering would there be any point in reflashing the BIOS. Iíve never done it and I believe it is not without pitfalls, however, desperate times call for desperate measures.
Wonder if someone else has had a go and stuffed up?

Any thoughts on this anyone?

Peter H
01-08-2003, 04:42 PM
I would leave Bios alone - buy a seperate sound card - Dick Smiths have an all singing dancing model for $57.00 XH7847. I'm sure that there are cheaper ones around as well. Saves on grey hairs !!
Bye

B.M.
01-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Yes Peter, I noticed in my search of Google that forgetting the on board Audio and installing a PCI card is the default approach to the problem.

Itís not of any comfort, but it would seem to be a common problem with this SiS 7018 chip.

Problem is, I hate being beaten by these things because there is bound to be an answer!

Dahhhhh, beer time, that will give me inspiration!

Peter H
01-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Always feel the same. As an electronics engineer, I often traced a problem to a particular part of a circuit. Then tried to isolate it by changing one thing at a time. In the end, the quickest way was to replace everthing. Hate being beaten, but as I said earlier, I put a PCI audio card in this after a few attempts at getting the on board going.
Bye

B.M.
06-08-2003, 03:05 PM
I took your advice Peter and bought a PCI, dual output, sound card complete with drivers, installed same, and would you believe it?

Not a squeak! (or crackle)

Iíve installed and uninstalled that many drivers Iím continuously giddy, nearly bald, and what hair if left is decidedly grey.

Still there is nothing to be found untoward in System / Devices or System / Information.

All I get is ďthis device is working properlyĒ

Still not a squeak from Control panel / Sounds although the play button is black and greys out for a second or so when clicked on.

Itís driving me mad. (er) :D

Out of interest Iíll install the card in another computer just in case Murphy is up to his old tricks and provided a faulty card.

Peter H
06-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Was hoping for good news. When the play button greys out, does the square button to the right go black? Also, is the 3 wire lead from your CD plugged into your new sound card?
Bye

B.M.
06-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Dahhhhh, we have noise.

You probably heard it wherever you are. Iím sure I saw the lights dim when the speakers came on.

The problem was the onboard sound had to be disabled in the BIOS set-up for the PCI card to work.

However, now I note we occasionally have vertical blue lines on screen. Parallel, but not equidistant. Anyone got any clues on this one?

Peter, I donít think you need the CD connected to get output from the Sound Files. The stop button did change to black when the play button greyed out.

So, still donít know whatís wrong with the onboard sound and now have these vertical blue lines to figure out. :(

Peter H
06-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Sometimes, putting a PCI card in a different slot helps. But, good to hear that you have sound. Any problems with the video before ? Maybe starting a new thread might be a good idea. Time to break out the bubbly - beer in my case.
Bye

attaboy999
06-08-2003, 07:15 PM
this is what i do when no sound come outta my computer.

restart, go to bios, disable the sound, when windows finishes loading, restart it again, go to bios again and enable the sound, the it works.

try that!

ps: u might think i'm bullshitting, but it really works for me!!!

B.M.
06-08-2003, 10:00 PM
I believe you attaboy.
I think the BIOS might be dicking me around too.
Itís all good character building, hair-pulling stuff!
Peter, the Video was fine prior to getting the sound going.
You win some, you loose some.
Bahhhh!