PDA

View Full Version : modem

ssssss
30-07-2003, 10:53 PM
I am a bit stupid.
I had the back off my HP computer.
Looked for the modem, in case I needed to replace it.
But wasn't sure what to look for!!
Is it the plugin card, that also has a socket for the line in accessible from outside the back of the computer?

Billy T
30-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Provided you are talking about your phone line, the answer is yes.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ssssss
30-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks Billy T, that's it.
If you have to remove this modem, is it OK to just grasp it with your hand, assuming one is wearing an antistatic wrist strap?

Billy T
31-07-2003, 10:23 AM
Yes, but it is always preferable to handle cards by their edges as that ensures you do not apply lateral stress to the PC board or its components. Bending or flexing PC boards can be a recipe for disaster.

Don't take it out unless you need to, but if you decide to change modems, I'd go for an external, and not a USB type either. You don't want your CPU doing work in software that an external modem can do in hardware.

Then there is Jetstream:D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ssssss
31-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Yes Billy T, I was thinking of getting Jetstream.
Does one have to take out the old modem for that and replace it?

Billy T
31-07-2003, 05:25 PM
No, you can keep your old modem as a standby if you wish, I have mine linked to free.net and apart from an initil payment of about $15 I have paid no more in nearly two years as my occasional use is less than the free monthly limit.

For best results buy an external adsl router rather than a modem and use an ethernet connection to your PC. Speed and reliability of this combination is optimal, and the router also provides a measure of additional security. Do not use a USB modem for ADSL, it will hog CPU time and they are sometimes less reliable in their operation.

This subject has been covered extensively on PF1 so a search of past posts might be useful.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

ssssss
31-07-2003, 08:02 PM
When I looked inside the computer, I think I saw 3 empty sockets next to the modem.
If I wanted to get a tv tuner card, would that fit into one of these sockets?

godfather
31-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Most likely, if they are PCI sockets (usually white in colour)
Older PCs have ISA sockets (dark colour) which will not accept a TV card.

Not likely that you would have ISA sockets if your PC is less than 5 years old, what speed is your CPU?

ssssss
31-07-2003, 09:03 PM
It is 2-3years old
HP 766Mhz
I think they are PCI sockets - it rings a bell
Would I expect to get good TV reception if I installed a TV tuner card and got myself an outside aerial? (At the moment I have't got a TV at all).
And later on could I get Sky connected to my computer? I like the idea of having just the one monitor in my room.

godfather
31-07-2003, 09:14 PM
I had a TV card in a P3 667 MHz HP PC, and it would not go full screen, due to lack of processor grunt. Newer drivers and choice of different display format would probably have allowed it. The video chipset would not allow "overlay mode" so relied on the CPU.

Presently use the card in a 2 GHz P4, runs fine.

You must use an outside aerial. Picture is acceptable, but not quite as good as a TV in my opinion (and I am fully qualified in the TV field so believe its a valid opinion). Looks good at less than full screen.

I have sky available as well on the TV signal to the card.

ssssss
31-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the help, Godfather, and Billy T.
I am undecided about whether to try it or not at the moment, because I would realy like to get it at fullscreen. Will think about getting TV aerials at the moment as a first step.