PDA

View Full Version : New releases of Mozilla Firebird and Mozilla Thunderbird

-=JM=-
29-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Just a heads up to you that Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1 and Mozilla Thunderbird 0.1 is out now.

Firebird is a browser and Thunderbird is the new stand alone mail/news client. They seem good so far to me.

Chilling_Silently
29-07-2003, 08:31 PM
Cheers, I'll get that this evening then!
Do you know if there's a Changelog available?

Jen C
29-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Thanks JM :)

*sigh* I only just downloaded the then new Thunderbird build on the 16th. Should of waited a bit.

Off to grab them both now :D

stu140103
29-07-2003, 09:06 PM
> Thanks JM :)

same Thanks JM :)

> Off to grab them both now :D

Same as well.... :) :D

Jen C
29-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Okay ... back again :D

Wee problem: I need to create a new profile for FireBird. I tried MozillaFirebird.exe -p in a command line, and the browser just opened up without offering me the option of creating a new profile.

I know something is not quite right as my downloaded extensions have vanished, and when I downloaded one again it installed OK but is not listed under Extensions after restarting FB ?:|

Is my lack of a new profile behind this? And how do I create a new profile when using the -p doesn't work?

Thanks
Jen

Windows XP +SP1

stu140103
29-07-2003, 09:22 PM
> Do you know if there's a Changelog available?

This may be what you are after:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

& The Release Notes page is link on that page as well :)

stu140103
29-07-2003, 09:24 PM
http://mozilla.org

-=JM=-
29-07-2003, 10:21 PM
That is rather odd, maybe you've found a bug :D The -p worked in the previous version.

-=JM=-
29-07-2003, 11:04 PM
Well i just realised why the -p wasn't working for me... I had firebird running at the time :(

Jen C
29-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Fixed it! :D

No JM, I didn't have Firebird open at the time, however after exiting Firebird a quick peek in Task Manager showed MozillaFirebird.exe still listed in Processes. I killed the process (why hadn't it politely let go itself?) and tried MozillaFirebird.exe -p again and this time managed to only get the title bar of Profile Manager to open which wasn't terribly helpful. Decided to delete the directory, reboot the PC and then extracted a fresh copy of Firebird. The switch worked this time :).

Firebird.exe must of still been running the first time I tried this even though I had closed the program down several minutes earlier. Nevermind - all done now.

Susan B
30-07-2003, 09:41 AM
> Just a heads up to you that Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1 and Mozilla Thunderbird 0.1 is out now.

Ta JM. :-)

"Goes off to download and fiddle."

Chilling_Silently
30-07-2003, 10:59 AM
Nothing much different IMHO.. :-(
I downloaded the linux tarball last night, and was expecting at least a little difference in the GUI! They said they changed an icon somewhere, but I havent noticed!

Then again, I s'pose its only a minor bug-fix release :-)

*Dreams of 0.7*
;-)

-=JM=-
30-07-2003, 12:34 PM
They have changed the icon. It has it's own Firebird icon instead of the old Mozilla one now.

Chilling_Silently
30-07-2003, 12:37 PM
That explains a lot seeing as I havent setup the Icon for it, lol!

Misty
30-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi Stu
What is a changelog please ?
The information re the benefits of Firebird are very useful. I have been going slowly and carefully with this program to find out what is possible !

Also should I remove my existing version of M. Firebird before I download the latest version please ? I have got part way there with the download using MyGetRight before deciding to chose the option "Finish later".
:)

Jen C
30-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Hi Misty

a changelog is a list of the bug-fixes and other improvements made since the previous version.

You will need to remove your old installation before installing the new one. Read here (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/release-notes.html) - just scroll down until you see the Download, Install and Uninstall section. To uninstall Firebird you just simply delete the folder. Please also take note of the comment about creating a new profile first.

An easier way is to delete your previous profile completely. In WinME you will find this here:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters.

BUT FIRST before deleting you old profile, browse to that location and go Pheonix > Profiles > Default > "random8characters".slt . In this folder you will see bookmarks.html. This is your list of saved bookmarks. Make a copy of this file and paste it onto your desktop for safe keeping. THEN, you can delete the Phoenix folder.

Make a new folder for the Firebird program under Programs on the C drive and extract you new Firebird into that folder. Double click on the MozillaFirebird.exe found several folders down in that directory. Also make a new shortcut for your desktop to launch the browser with.

Now, getting back to that saved bookmarks.html sitting on the desktop. Make a copy of this and browse back to the same location where the Pheonix folder previously deleted lived (you will find a new one there now). Open up that folder and browse all the way back to where the "random8characters".slt lives and open it. Paste the bookmarks.html folder and agree to overwriting/replacing the current file. This will give you all your bookmarks back again. You can then delete the copy off the desktop if your bookmarks appear successfully in the browser.

Post back if you need more help. :)

Jen

Neil McC
31-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Thanks Jen C, think I can manage that too! :-)

Odin
31-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Does it have Java built in to it or do You still have to download and install the Java softwrae seperately when you visit sites that contain Java graphics.

Chilling_Silently
31-07-2003, 11:19 AM
The easiest way to check if your browser has Java, is to go to:
http://go.icq.com
if the popup window loads with ICQ2Go!, then you've got Java.

But, Im thinking you likely wont have the browser yet, so I'll tell ya now:

Mine didnt :-(

*Dont forget to click the lil "Popup Stopped" icon in the bottom left hand corner of the window, its the little blue "I" in a circle. This will let the popup load in a new window!*

Chilling_Silently
31-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Just thought I'd like to add, upon the window opening, there's a little image of a Jigsaw puzzle, click on it and it will take you to a download site :-)

Odin
31-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Just downloaded Firebird and no it doesn't have the java plugin installed. Installing it now. IE has always includedthe java plugin, this is the only thing I find annoying about Mozilla is having to install the plugins seperately. But then we can't all live in a perfect world now can we :D

Odin
31-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Must say this Firebird browser aint half bad, speedy browsing and now that the java plugin is installed I can visit my webpage. Must admit though I do miss my Google Tool bar ;-)

Chilling_Silently
31-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Who needs a google bar, there's the Google search incorporated into it, and you can easily set it to use the "Search", or the "Im Feeling Lucky" equivalents :-)

Misty
18-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi Jen
Have not forgotten this - just have to find a quiet time and gather my resources together. Just takes a bit more courage than normal !

Will keep you posted when I have had a try.
thanks
Misty

:)