PDA

View Full Version : Some of my 'My Docs' folders have become SYSTEM folders

ssssss
29-07-2003, 03:43 PM
When I go to delete some of My Documents folders the warning comes up:- "the folder such and such folder is a system folder. If you delete it Windows or another program may no longer work correctly"

I have looked into these folders by going into folder options and unticking 'hide protected operating system files (recommended)' and I notice the offending folders all have a file called desktop.ini in them.

Then I remembered that the date of these files corresponded to the use of a program called 'Folder Style' that I downloaded from Tucows. The program changes the icons of individual folders in Windows.

So what do I do to get rid of these ini files? They shouldn't be there. Would it be safe to delete them inspite of the warning that Windows might not work properly if I do?

metla
29-07-2003, 03:53 PM
No warning ever stopped me,id delete em.

Peter H
29-07-2003, 04:48 PM
You CANNOT delete these folders, but you can delete all the contents.
Bye

ssssss
29-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Peter H,
You must have misunderstood me Peter.
I have just tried deleting one of my folders called 'letters', which now is called a system folder, and it did delete, even though it now has one of these ini files in it. It also restored frome the recycle bin again, when I wanted it too.

Mike
29-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Yeah you can delete the desktop.ini files no problem, if they're not there then windows just uses the default display for them. As to why they've become system folders I don't know, but it probably has something to do with that file. Just delete them - I mean if you created them then nothing critical to Windows should be in them right? :)

Happy deleting :)

Mike.

ssssss
29-07-2003, 09:23 PM
thanks everybody