PDA

View Full Version : How to make Nero recognise recorder?

sam m
29-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Hi all,
Friend recently bought new computer complete with cd writer. It came with Nero software which we installed. It seemed to install ok however we cannot burn any cd's (audio in particular).
When we click on "recorder" it does not show his Samsung cd writer, only an image drive is displayed.
Search of Nero support site state that some cd writers are not supported, but all I could find was a list of cd writers not supported and his Samsung was not listed so I am assuming that it is ok. His Nero version is 5.5.something.
Does anyone know how to make Nero recognise his cd writer?
We have tried uninstalling reinstalling, even tried my version which is slightly older.
Running XP Pro.

Thanks
sam m

Scotty D
29-07-2003, 08:58 AM
So it does burn, just not audio CD's?

I have found that a specific nero CD is specific to the writer ie wont recognise another CD RW (except for the latest version), So my guess is the CD is for a different drive, which would be unusual for a brand new one? Go back to shop, swap drives and nero CD, if they let you?

Obviously the CD drive does work, ie you can see it in explorer and use the discs in it?

sam m
29-07-2003, 09:19 AM
thanks for reply scotty,
He had already installed Nero and it was a proper Nero branded CD, he said that it came with the cd writer but I am not sure whether the cd was inside the packaging of the cd or whether the shop gave it to him. I will ask him tonight when I am over. When we try and burn (at this stage I have only tried audio as that is what they want help with) it seems to burn an image but while it was doing that there was no activity light from the cd writer, only hard drive. I guess that means that we only made an image of the songs he wanted on his hard drive.
Looks like we might have to visit the shop if the Nero version he has is specific to a particular cd writer, I didn't realise that would be the case.

thanks
sam m

sam m
29-07-2003, 09:23 AM
> Obviously the CD drive does work, ie you can see it
> in explorer and use the discs in it?

Yes, definitely works. Also he has trial version of Clone CD that he has successfully used so the writer itself does work. Is there a possible conflict between Clone CD and Nero?

Steve Askew
29-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi Sam M, I think you may have the same problem that I had.
My cd-writer wasn't being recognised by Nero 5.5 either & what I did was update the ASPI drivers.
These ASPI drivers from Adaptec (ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_v470.exe) should work fine.
Hope this helps

Cheers Steve

Chilling_Silently
29-07-2003, 12:15 PM
You may need to also download the latest update from ahead.de, as when I bought a Richoh CD-R/W, the version of Nero it came with didnt support it.

Download and install the "Demo" from the Nero website, and it will update your current install, and will not hinder it in any way :-)

Billy T
29-07-2003, 12:38 PM
I had the same problem with a Samsung SW-248B, but didn't know about ASPI drivers.

I couldn't find anything at all on the Net & PF1 didn't come up with anything so I dumped Nero and bought Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 Platinum which works like a dream. Bought it in the States while on a job and it came with 50 CD-R disks and I think there may have been a price discount as well (my memory lets me down sometimes) so it wasn't a bad deal. Thought I might as well future-proof myself for a DVD burner when the prices drop enough.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silently
29-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Vearing a little OT here.. I agree that Roxio Easy CD-Creator is more likely to work with regards to that, and it had a few winners when it released V5 which was fully XP Compatible, whereas Nero at the time was not, so it notched up a large number of users from that.

However, if anybody else has seen Nero 6 (Ive used Ultra), then you'll know it's the absolute best buy around ;-)

-=JM=-
29-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Have you tried CTRL+R from inside Nero and looking at the burners that it has on offer?

vk_dre
29-07-2003, 05:27 PM
U should have free access to the web update versions because u have the official nero product rite? which are okay as they contain the drivers and the main program, so try downloading the net update version that is 5.7 and everything should run smoothly.

OT- Did u know that Nero Burning ROm was named after Nero the famous Roman guy who brought Rome to a stand still, and that Nero Buring Rom is a play on Nero Burning Rome.

cheers,
v.K

vk_dre
29-07-2003, 05:28 PM
U should have free access to the web update versions because u have the official nero product rite? which are okay as they contain the drivers and the main program, so try downloading the net update version that is 5.7 and everything should run smoothly.

OT- Did u know that Nero Burning ROm was named after Nero the famous Roman guy who brought Rome to a stand still, and that Nero Burning Rom is a play on Nero Burning Rome.

cheers,
v.K

Chilling_Silently
29-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Did they release 5.7??
I only got upto 5.5.10.42, but I think they release.47

And yes, hence the burning coloseum as the logo!

Chilling_Silently
29-07-2003, 05:44 PM
I just checked www.ahead.de and its all focused on Nero 6 now.. Cant find much about Nero 5.x!?!

Am I just looking in the wrong place?

sam m
29-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks for replies but not having much luck here.
I am at his house now and have tried the following:

Downloaded ASPI as per Steve but had no idea what to do as we clicked on all xxx.exe files and nothing seemed to work.

Reinstalled (3rd time) and it made no difference althogh something I noticed is that his version is "5.5.9.12 bundled". There is no registration process at all so wondering if this is related.

Went to the Nero website (http://www.nero.com/en/nero-prog.php) and thought about downloading new version 6 but could not find anything to click on to download.

Any other ideas (apart from spending any more money on different software, but thanks for advice all the same) Interesting that we should have be having this problem because on the CD itself it has the Samsung logo on it.

thanks
sam m

craig_b
29-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Here is some info I found that you may find of interest:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7497

...many users have received a Nero Burning ROM 5.5x version with their CD/DVD recorder and would like to be entitled to an upgrade of Nero 6.

Question is, will they have to pay for an update, and will Nero 5.5 users find new updates for their software? "We will have a last update some days after the release of Nero 6, but after that we stop working on Nero 5.5", explains Jenny Menhart from Ahead; "Everybody has to buy Nero 6 (either the upgrade or the full version), expect the people who bought Nero 5.5 (the retail version) after the 1st of May 2003".

On the Nero site there is no information to be had about 5.5 etc as it is no longer unger development. If you have purchased the "Retail" ie boxed version of 5.5 after 1 May you can upgrade to 6 for free. People who have OEM versions of nero - ie those that come as a cd with the writer DO NOT GET FREE UPGRADES.

It is also no longer possible to get patches for new burners for nero 5.5.x.x. In other words it is live with it, or pay to upgrade...

[they sure know how to look after customers!!]

However, the nero ftp site still has the latest nero update for 5.5
I am downloading this now for myself, and will put it on my own site for a while if you want it, in case the nero people take it down.

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/nero551042.exe

Also, the adaptec aspi layer is not perfect for nero, it sometimes works, and sometimes doesnt. Nero have there own one which you can get here:

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/wnaspi32.dll [WINDOWS 2000/XP ONLY]

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/NeroAspiEN.exe [WIN 98 ONLY]

Try these files out and see if they are any help...

If not, can you let me know, and post what the model number of the burner is, and I will see if I can find any info on it for you...

Craig.

Steve Askew
29-07-2003, 09:06 PM
> Downloaded ASPI as per Steve but had no idea what to
> do as we clicked on all xxx.exe files and nothing
> seemed to work.

Hi Sam, When you double click the downloaded file It should extract itself to c:\adaptec\aspi\
Go to the c:\adaptec\aspi\ folder & see Readme file.

VI. Installation of ASPI
================================================== ==========
1. Run INSTALL.BAT with the target operating system
command line option specified:

X86 ( for Windows 98/ME/NT/2000 )
XP32 ( for Windows XP 32-bit )
XP64 ( for Windows XP 64-bit )

e.g. "INSTALL.BAT X86"

2. INSTALL.BAT will prompt you to specify which operating
system to install for if you did not specify one in Step 1).

a) If you are installing for X86 systems for either
Windows 98/ME/NT/2000 then ASPIINST.EXE will be invoked
and the rest of the installation process will be carried
out.
b) If you are installing for X86 or Itanium systems the
batch file will invoke REG_XP.EXE to make the necessary
registry entries and then copy the operating system
specific files to the appropriate location. The operating
system path is determined by the environment variable
%windir%.

For Win XP 32-bit:
ASPIXP.SYS will be copied to %windir%\system32\drivers\ASPI32.SYS
WNASPIXP.DLL will be copied to %windir%\system32\WNASPI32.DLL

For Win XP 64-bit:
ASPI64.SYS will be copied to %windir%\system32\drivers\ASPI32.SYS
WNASPI64.DLL will be copied to %windir%\system32\WNASPI32.DLL

3. Reboot the system to enable the ASPI driver.

You can check ASPI driver status by going back to c:\adaptec\aspi\ folder & double clicking on ASPICHK.EXE

On my pc it says ASPI driver is properly installed & fully operational.

Cheers Steve
PS:Perhaps the files Craig has found may be better, I used adaptec ASPI as they were the only ones I could find at the time.

craig_b
29-07-2003, 09:10 PM
buggerit,

In my haste i forgot to say what to do with the nero wnaspi32.dll file

this file should be manually put into the c:\windows\system32\ folder

Craig.

PoWa
29-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Whats with the pages being so wide? I have to right scroll to read anything!? :-\\

Anyway, what brand of cd-r media are you using? That often plays a big part in a successful cd burn. Often the cheaper warehouse brands produce coasters. For music burning you want the highest quality cd-r you can find. Imation are pretty good in that area.

As for Nero well.. It didn't work for me when I bought my cd-writer. So I went for Easy Cd Creator 5. I had to get all the patches for it to work on that as well. Well worth any money you pay for it! I think maybe ECC5 installed something that let me burn cds properly too, probably those ASPI drivers?

sam m
29-07-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm home now (we got sidetracked playing game) and I am now d/loading files as per craig and will see what happens tomorrow.

To be honest Steve we did click on install.bat and didn't understand what was going on so bailed. Thanks for reposting with more detailed info so might revisit that again later.

This is definitely an area we know nothing about as we are used to "click" and let a wizard do everything for us, tinkering gives us the creeps.

If this doesn't work then might have to follow the advice of others with problems similar and dump Nero for another. I personally like Nero but then again , I've only used that one.

thanks again
sam m

Billy T
29-07-2003, 10:12 PM
The pages go wide if somebody writes a post-script
or other note using the text formatting tags. These
don't word-wrap so you end up with a very long line
of text that makes the page very wide.

In this case it was Craig B's post that did it so go to
that one and you can see the cause for yourself.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
[b][pre]Maybe one day Bruce and the team will be able
to fix this annoying problem. I don't know if it
is a bug or just a characteristic of the software.
(This has been manually wrapped.)

vk_dre
30-07-2003, 05:12 PM
> The pages go wide if somebody writes a post-script
> or other note using the text formatting tags. These
> don't word-wrap so you end up with a very long line
> of text that makes the page very wide.

Oh, thats why, i thought it was just my comp that was showin up like that. I feel much better now. :)

Murray P
30-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Have you seen this ? (http://www.nero.com/en/helptool/640.htm#o640) or this (http://www.nero.com/en/631941507584102.html).

I have Nero 5.5.7.8 which came bundled with a Samsung SW-240B. I've had the occasional glitch, like most people when burning something to CD and InCD won't recognise the drive but generally its been ok.

Cheers Murray P