PDA

View Full Version : Best ripper and best encoder for extracting music?

DanielS
27-07-2003, 11:46 PM
What does everyone think is the best ripping software out there, and the best quality encoder for creating the best mp3's?

are there any that can get to near CD quality? and are they free to download?

cheers,

tweak\'e
27-07-2003, 11:55 PM
i prefer cdex tho eac (exact audio copy) is also very good.

as far as codecs goes it all depends on what quality you want vers file size. ogg is fairly good and is open source. there are lossless codecs (monkey,falac) but have far larger file size.

Robby
28-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Gidday,

The three I have used over the years are Media player 9, Musicmatch, and Media jukebox.

mp3 128 seems to be the accepted start for 'CD Quality' however, it really depends on what you consider is acceptable.

good luck,

Robby

Greg S
28-07-2003, 01:20 PM
There's heaps of free apps around that do the job - often really good ones come with your soundcard software. Whichever you choose, I'd record at 196 bitrate for the best sound quality vs file size. Also don't forget Windows Media Player which rips into wma format, a better quality sound than mp3 for any given equivelant file size.

-=JM=-
28-07-2003, 04:14 PM
CDeX (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos) for ripping and WinLAME (http://sourceforge.net/projects/winlame) for encoding in OGG.

Bazza
28-07-2003, 08:07 PM
DanielS: I see you've found useful advice here. I'm sure the recommendations will provide excellent results, and keep you busy.

I dont have experience with some recommendations, & so will not comment.

But being a long time music enthusiast, I've found MusicMatch, as mentioned by Robby, does the task very well. In fact it does everything, not only ripping, but playing, recording, converting, editing tags, burning audio CD's, printing labels, plus an excellent playlist & music library.

The basic MMJB is free, but some options work better with the "Plus" version costing US$29.95. Some 4 years ago I was so impressed, that I purchased the plus version, which gives lifetime upgrades of the program, & improvements. Since then I've received many free upgrades that install automatically. Highly recommended.

http://www.musicmatch.com

sinndisco
28-07-2003, 08:33 PM
I'm with Bazza, I've been ripping music with MMJB for 6 years now, on OP system from Win95 right up to XP. It really is a pearler although I prefer Winamp 3 for play back

tweak\'e
28-07-2003, 08:44 PM
> Also don't forget Windows Media Player which rips into wma format, a better quality sound than mp3 for any given equivelant file size.

WMA sound like crap reguardless of filesize. both lame and ogg are far better.

vk_dre
28-07-2003, 09:52 PM
I use cool edit Pro v2 as u can rip any form of audio and convert it to any ohter form which includes mp3 and mp3 pro. Both are good formats and u can still get good sound quallity at 128k playbakc and the file will be 1Mb file size which cool edit pro has as a saving feature.

cheers,
v.K