PDA

View Full Version : Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 Speakers

chiefnz
27-07-2003, 02:08 PM
I have just bought a Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 Speaker set. Had no problems setting it up in on my system. Tested the speakers using the Creative Mixer 2 which comes with my Sound Blaster Live! software and everything was good to go. Needless to say I was really happy with my purchase and very impressed with the clarity and volume the system provided.

However, I noticed that my Centre speaker was not working when I played music... or games for that matter. On the box and in the manual it says enjoy great gaming through the centre speaker but I don't hear anything, and I have enbled EAX on all the games I play but still nothing.

I checked all the wiring and even tested the speaker on one of the other outputs and all was in order. It obviously can't be the actual speaker input as I get sound through the sub-woofer, or am I wrong about that... could it be the output jack then?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Gorela
27-07-2003, 03:19 PM
It may be worthwhile opening the control centre and checking the sound settings. It could be something as simple as not having the Creative audio card as the system default. The Creative Mixer 2 will look for and use the Sound Blaster Live card even if it isn't the default.

If this doesn't help someone may be able to give further ideas if you also post the operating system and some other relevant details. ;)

Odin
27-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Use the diagnostic program that comes with the soundblaster software and test the speakers. Make sure they are plugged in correctly. I had a similar problem and although I had the speakers plugged in correctly according to the written documentation, I found that it was wrong. I had to change the plugs around and viola they all worked. (Moral: Don't believe everything your read :D )

chiefnz
27-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Yes, thanks I had a look at that and everything is in order. I tried every setting possible but still no luck.

Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz
512MB RAM
OS - Windows 2000 Pro SP4
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 DE Special Edition

chiefnz
27-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Hi, Odin are you able to tell me how yours is set up. Which plugs (the colours) do you have and where they are plugged into thanks?

Odin
27-07-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm using the Audigy2 card and the 6.1 6600 speakers. Now according to my documentation Line 3 is below the Mic, Line 2 is below that and Line 1 is below that this is moving away from the Digital output. However the Actual setup is I'll try and draw it ;-)

O - Digital Out
O - Line Input (midi)
O - Mic
O - Line 1 (the manual says this is 3)
O - Line 2
O - Line 3 (The manual says this is 1)
D - Firewire Port

Your setup should be similar except you won't have the firewire port.

Odin
27-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Forgot colours

Line 1 is Green
Line 2 is Black
Line 3 is Orange

chiefnz
27-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Ok... Odin I tried your settings... only problem is I only have line 1, 2 and a digital out. Tried your setting and the 5.1 test in the creative mixer program worked fine. When I played an mp3 on Winamp, music was only playing through the front, rear and sub-woofer speakers. this is puzzling to say the least. The 5.1 test works just great... does it have anything to do with what you are actually doing or not. I mean will the centre speaker work only in some cases or is it supposed to be on all the time.

My dad's using an Audigy card his centre speaker is very very soft but works nonetheless?

One thing I did discover is that if I left the digital output (orange) unplugged then the centre speaker works but it's playing audio from the right side front speaker, when the test goes "front right" it comes through the centre speaker. I'm sure that is wrong ?

Any other suggestions... I'm really stumped qith this one.

Thanks for you help though.

metla
27-07-2003, 04:57 PM
now youve messed with it does it work in games now?

As far as music is concerned its encoded as 2-channel,the rear speakers play the same signel as the fronts and the center speaker is ignored.

My set-up has a button near the volume controls to emulate 2.0 as 5.1,...........

Odin
27-07-2003, 05:53 PM
See if you can get any help from here.

http://dmzweb3.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=77,E=0000000000005794711,K=9720,Sxi=0?new,kb=C reative_cla,VARSET=ProductID:400,VARSET=prodfaq:"PRODFAQ_400",usetemplate=startup_speaker.tem,Question255=obj(2 55):obj(9147),Question257=obj(257):obj(9095),Quest ion=REF(MenuOption):STR(Problem)

chiefnz
27-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Ok I found the CMSS (Creative Multi Speaker Surround) button on the Play Centre Panel. I have managed to get the centre speaker playing now by activating this. I was pleased with the result, however after reading the article further and some more perusing throught the SB Live! Manual I discovered that I do not have to activate this to get the 5.1 effect as I have a 5.1 capable sound card and speakers. Whcih brings us back to square 1 again guys.... Of course I could be wrong???

Is there anyone out there with a SOUND BLASTER LIVE! 5.1 DE Special Edition Sound card connected to a 5.1 speaker system that works properly... your input would be greatly appreciated