PDA

View Full Version : win2k.iso

sc0ut
27-07-2003, 12:56 PM
any one know of free soft ware that is guarantied to make a .iso file of my win2k CD

Lohsing
27-07-2003, 01:25 PM
Alcohol 120% (http://www.alcohol-software.com/) Will do what you want.

Lo.

Big John
27-07-2003, 01:56 PM
He did say FREE

-=JM=-
27-07-2003, 02:33 PM
I'd have to suggest ISObuster but the question has to be asked about why you're wanting to create an ISO of your win2k CD.

Lohsing
27-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Alcohol 120% trial version has unlimited capability for 5 days I think?

Lo.

metla
27-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Isobuster extracts files from an image,It doesn't create them.

sc0ut
27-07-2003, 05:25 PM
thanks Alcohol did the trick
and i make an ISO so that i can update drivers whenever i want, and update windows from a share (e.g. if i want to install personal webserver, iis). saves time rummaging for the CD
thanks

-=JM=-
27-07-2003, 07:26 PM
> Isobuster extracts files from an image,It doesn't
> create them.

Unless I downloaded a corrupt version from the authors website. My ISO Buster 1.4 in free mode CAN extract CDs to images.

metla
27-07-2003, 07:33 PM
oh,:D:D:D

metla
28-07-2003, 12:04 AM
hmmmmm,just had a look,buggered if i can find where isobuster copies a cd to an image,been thru the options and the help files....

Anychance you can point me in the right direction?

running 1.4 btw

-=JM=-
28-07-2003, 12:35 AM
Pop a CD in the drive and right-click on the stuff on the left hand side. There should be an option to extract data.

Chilling_Silently
28-07-2003, 11:51 AM
If you have a look through the information on the Win2K CD about creating an Unattended install, it says you can simply copy the files to a folder on your HDD, modify certain things, and re-burn the contents of that folder and have it still boot!

I'll go see if I can find a lil more on the topic :-)

Merlin
28-07-2003, 12:26 PM
Wrong

Go and learn about bootable CDs and how to create them. There is only one site with the correct information.

Chilling_Silently
28-07-2003, 01:31 PM
You might want to look into here:
http://www.thetechguide.com/win2kbootcd/

and also see here:
http://www.tech-hints.com/unatt.html#1
Where is states the following:

Renaming the unattend for NT automated use.

If you are using either 2000 or XP you can have the installer automatically use the unattend file. Sorry but that is not possible with NT 4. To do this you will rename the unattend file you just made to WINNT.SIF and place it in the same directory as winnt.exe
Rename to WINNT32.SIF if you are upgrading as in winnt32.exe, you get the picture.
If you use the winnt.sif file you will lose the option to use a udf file though. As I am assuming that you using the DAT files to install from. The DAT files described on my other pages do not allow you to use any switches during the install.

I may have been partially wrong in the "How-To" create the CD, but it is most certainly possible, and now terribly hard! How do you think people slipstream the SP's if you cannot re-burn the Win2K CD Merlin?

If you have Windows 2K or XP, why not try it eh? ;-)

Chilling_Silently
28-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Oh Merlin, just in case you're wanting some more configuration options etc, see here:
http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

Merlin
28-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Silly boy.

Installing using an unattend.txt file is different from installing from using an unattend.sif file - as are the file locations.
While the outcome is the same the installation start methods are different depending on whether share folder source, CD source or local folder source is used.

Also, udf files are used primarily with networks rather than stand alone machines - hence the acronym udf.

As for burning CDs that contain service packs for slipstreaming - not only possible but also recommended.

To burn a bootable CD from a folder, containing the contents of the OS CD, created on a hard drive is not a standard burn.

The first link covers the basics of creating a bootable CD - though even that site does not provide a link to download CDRWIN. Trial versions are limited to 30 days and 1X recording speed.

The second link provides information that is limited, the final section being confusing. Better and clearer information is available in the deploy cabinet file provided on the OS disk.

Next time little boy, do it first - then you might be able to speak with authority rather than just quoting items you have yet to experience.
I know I should forgive but I don't like Dorklanders.

Lohsing
28-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Geez, it wouldn't hurt to quit with the tone, would it Merlin?

You come across a bit harsh sometimes and I don't think it's appreciated in PF1.

Lo.

Merlin
28-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Why do I say what I say in the manner I do?

There are four kinds of people, three of which are to be avoided and the fourth cultivated: those who don't know that they don't know; those who know that they don't know; those who don't know that they know; and those who know that they know.
- Unattributed Author, rendering of an Arab proverb

Chilling_Silently
28-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Oh bite me merlin, I have done it!

Ive successfully created a Bootable Win2K CD previously, admittedly its not as simple as I first made it out to be, but still very possible and not terribly hard at that!

Ive successfully made an install with a default res. of 1024x768, just to see how easy it was, and also I've slipstreamed Win2K_SP3 into another CD!

Im with Lo.

Pull ya head in!

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything."

--Author unknown

metla
28-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Edit Edit Edit Edit ....

--Author unknown

Oh wait,it was me.

................................HA

[Edited by: admin on Jul 28, 2003 3:51 PM]

Biggles
28-07-2003, 04:50 PM
>Next time little boy, do it first - then you might be able to speak with authority rather than just quoting items you have yet to experience. I know I should forgive but I don't like Dorklanders.

I don't know what the problem is here but this kind of abuse is totally uncalled for. By all means disagree with someone else and provide your take on things but there's no call for this type of personal abuse. Especially after I've had a sticky thread outlining the kind of behaviour expected of PressF1 users.

Merlin - if you can't be nice don't say anything. Technical help is only so palatable if keeps being served with venom.

Bruce Buckman
IDG Communications

just another "dorklander"