Stumped Badly
26-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Hi,
Can anybody help here please.

1 month old computer
2.4GHz intel
Gigabyte m/board
512Mb DDR

For the last week it has not been booting properly.
From cold boot in the morning, no problem.
But if it is shutdown & restarted within an hour or just restarted after installing anything I get the following message at reboot.

I get a buzzing noise then this appears onscreen

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
BIOS ROM Checksum error
Detecting Floppy drive A media
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Almost seems like the BIOS has forgotten where the hard drive is.
If the system is left off for over an hour, no whining noise & it boots ok, but sometimes says CPU is not detected properly but it boots & goes ok.
I've replaced the battery, & done all the usual.

Any ideas
Thanks

PoWa
26-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Sometimes you get that error if a floppy disk is left in the drive and then the system is rebooted.

Have you tried making the hard drive the first thing to boot? E.g hda0, cdrom, floppy???

Stumped Badly
26-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Thanks PoWa, yep 1st thing I did was to boot from hd0, floppy, CDRom.
I've tried just about everything, & wonder if the BIOS is crook.

Pheonix
27-07-2003, 12:11 AM
A new power supply too? What wattage? Power supplies can cause some wierd problems too.

skinnerjack
27-07-2003, 09:15 AM
This one seems easy to me, but the Bios Checksum means you need a new CMOS battery, dont ask me why, but for seven dollars you can fix this error.

If the second error occurs after a battery swap then get into BIOS and check that the first boot device is floppy the second is CDROM and the third is Hard Drive zero.

PS check the cable is firmed fro the HD to the M/B

Stumped Badly
27-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys
I had already tried your suggestions before posting the problem.

1. Power supply is a new 320w & I have tried another one, same result.
2. Have already tried a new battery which reset the BIOS to default boot order.
3. Had the video card out & checked it is seated properly, removed hd drive cable & reconnected.

When the buzzing sound starts at post the onscreen error comes up & I can't access the BIOS. All I can do is press enter when it asks for the disk which just repeats the error message & asks for the system disk again.

The only way I can get into the BIOS is to leave it off for an hour & try again & then I can usually get into the BIOS check everything & it will boot.
Really weird.
I'm reluctant to say it is a dodgy m/board or BIOS because the problem is the same every time & when it finally cranks up it runs flawlessly.
It's got me Stumped Badly.

Pheonix
27-07-2003, 12:03 PM
I'm tempted to call it the motherboard myself. As the BIOS is consulted only on startup, if it gets through that, then you are bound to have no problems.
It looks like you have done a great job in eliminating the other possible causes, so you may have to make a call for a replacement.
Sorry I can't be of any further assistance there.

Graham L
27-07-2003, 03:32 PM
At a month, why are you spending time on it? That's what guarantees are for. :D

Stumped Badly
27-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Unfortunately Graham I'm the one supplying the guarantee, I built it myself.
I'm trying to track down the problem so I can get a replacement for whatever it is that needs replaced.
Could it be the hard drive not responding properly to the BIOS call?
Thanks

skinnerjack
27-07-2003, 07:17 PM
is there a short under the board by a pillar mount?
also check for leaking Capacitors on the M/B

Stumped Badly
27-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks skinnerjack, already done that.
I'll just have to get another board down & hope it's the problem.
I'm actually a techy by trade so know most problems & how to fix 'em but this one has stumped me mainly because the problem is so persistent & the same scenario everytime. (You'd think that would make it easier to track down)
Thanks

skinnerjack
28-07-2003, 05:27 PM
If you do find the prob i would be interested to know, its a great feeling to tweak something and have it work, but there's always THAT ONE that provides a challenge.

PS Could the buzzing be from a wire resting on the CPU fan blades?

skinnerjack
28-07-2003, 05:30 PM
just had a thought, just removing the battery and replacing it, sometimes doesnt change the BIOS, remove the battery overnight and use the 'clear cmos' jumper before replacing the battery.

Stabs in the dark now!

Terry Porritt
28-07-2003, 07:51 PM
It's the bootblock error message that's a little puzzling. Does the m/b manual talk about a bootblock jumper? If so check that it is firmly in place, and in the disable position.

If all else fails try re-flashing the BIOS, you have nothing to lose :)

Good luck

Stumped Badly
28-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys,
Not a wire on the fan.
You know the comp isn't going to boot as soon as the buzzing starts up.
If there is no buzzing the machine starts up fine.
Already put a new battery in it & had left it out for a couple of hours
It reset the BIOS & booted fine but when I tried rebooting buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!
I thought about reflashing the BIOS, but if I balls it up I won't get a replacement so back it goes I guess.
Thanks again.

Rosz
28-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Last time I had this problem preceded by a buzz, it turned out to be the hard drive itself, dying a slow and noisy death ... the symptoms were much the same as yours ... an intermittent CMOS error after the buzz meant no go for the system ...

Also, with the BIOS error ... it might pay to track down a manual for your motherboard based on the BIOS ID String ... I have met a couple of machines made with re-conditioned motherboards where the BIOS chips have been replaced with non-original (& incompatible) chips ... this resulted in constant BIOS AND hard drive probs ...

For example, I replaced the power box & hard drive for a work mate due to bootup & Win OS issues ... everything was fine for a couple of runs then back to square one with his probs ... at the end of the day, it turns out the machine was a rebuilt oldie where the techies had cannibalised bits and pieces from a variety of machines and resold them ... they had taken a BIOS chip from one old motherboard and put it on to his ... I only discovered it when I fed his BIOS ID string into the Google search engine and found what shall have been the manual for his motherboard - except it didn't match up ...

Hope this gives you ideas ... BTW what's the year of manufacture of your motherboard?

Stumped Badly
28-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Thanks Rosz,
I was wondering myself if I should try another hard drive, but once the machine is going it runs perfectly & scandisk shows no problems.
Might try another one just to discount it (or otherwise)

M/bd is GIGABYTE GA-ST800 manufactured 2002

Graham L
29-07-2003, 02:02 PM
The Bios ROM Checksum error really means trouble. It's not the BIOS settings (which have their own checksum as a consistency check). Its the checksum on the actual "permanent" code of the BIOS. The fact that it's intermittent might mean that it's not "properly" burned.

EPROMs were tricky, and most programmers gave short programming pulses to each location, reading after each one. When the returned value was right, they gave a few more zaps to make sure. :D

Flash EEPROMs are often tested after programming at a range of supply voltages. This might point to a problem other than a flakey ROM chip. If your power supply is asserting Power OK too soon, the processor, and the ROM will be running at lower than the proper voltage. If you are starting at 3.3V, you haven't got much margin. :D The first operation will be the calculation of the checksum ... and by the time it decides that it's wrong, the volts could be right, so you don't get the bad spelling in the error message whch would be a "clue".

Rosz
30-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Still stumped? Hmmm ... here is the address that might be useful ...

http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8ST800-L.htm

... I checked it out ... also has an image of how your motherboard SHOULD look as well as links for to the BIOS flash files ... hope it helps ...

Rosz.

satishrd
13-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi,
Can anybody help here please.

1 month old computer
2.4GHz intel
Gigabyte m/board
512Mb DDR

For the last week it has not been booting properly.
From cold boot in the morning, no problem.
But if it is shutdown & restarted within an hour or just restarted after installing anything I get the following message at reboot.

I get a buzzing noise then this appears onscreen

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
BIOS ROM Checksum error
Detecting Floppy drive A media
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Almost seems like the BIOS has forgotten where the hard drive is.
If the system is left off for over an hour, no whining noise & it boots ok, but sometimes says CPU is not detected properly but it boots & goes ok.
I've replaced the battery, & done all the usual.

Any ideas
Thanks
BIOS ROM Checksum error

godfather
13-09-2006, 09:04 PM
BIOS ROM Checksum error

And the point of you raising a 3 year old thread from its grave is...?

Graham L
14-09-2006, 01:23 PM
GF: Probably the point is that a new user has done the right thing: searched the archives for a problem occuring now, found a thread which describes the problem, but does not solve it, and hopes further wisdom might have accrued to the massed intellects of PressF1 in the interim. :D From your welcome, GF, perhaps not :( ;)

Welcome to PressF1, satishrd.

I might modestly suggest that my post in that thread could still be appropriate. :cool: Have you recently added any hardware which would increase the startup load on the power supply? Big hard disks are obvious candidates, but I suppose even a few big fans might also give a bit of a shock to the PSU at starting. A new CPU which pulls more current might also be a cause.

But that's on the assumption that your problem is very similar to that described. A bit more (or any ;) ) information about your system and the
frequency of the problem would help.

jinja_thom
14-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Nobody seems to be listening (?) Graham but just incase someone reviews this thread in another couple of years it has been my experience that this condition is almost without exception caused by a flat cmos battery.

HTH JT

bartsdadhomer
15-09-2006, 10:07 AM
Nobody seems to be listening (?) Graham but just incase someone reviews this thread in another couple of years it has been my experience that this condition is almost without exception caused by a flat cmos battery.

HTH JT
Highly unlikely.
In this case it was a faulty board.
Probably a dud bios, a replacement board fixed it and it has been running without a hitch ever since

Graham L
15-09-2006, 12:45 PM
jinja-thom: There are two different checksum error messages the BIOS can produce. The other one indicates a flat battery, which causes the BIOS data to be lost (and the clock to stop working). This particular one means a major problem in the BIOS executable code area which should not change by accident, nor be "lost". Modern ("flashable" for updates) BIOSs would have a section of unchangeable bootstrap code which does the checksum on the "flash" code. then starts the actual POST. If that went away, you wouldn't even get even this message. :D

jinja_thom
15-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Graham L thanks for that, just how do the two messages differ ? so I will recognise the difference in future.

JT

Graham L
15-09-2006, 05:37 PM
If it says something like "BIOS ROM Checksum error", it's serious. ROM= Read Only Memory ... that's the part which isn't changed by the setup routines, or by auto configuration. There is a checksum stored with it. (All BIOS extensions, like those in the ROMs in video cards etc use the same system).

The BIOS configuration data are stored in battery backed "RAM" (read/write memory), and a new checksum is calculated and written into it when you use the Save and Exit option. Any error message when the checksum doesn't agree with the data will not mention "ROM".

Lammutaja
21-12-2007, 03:14 AM
Hey guys, so sorry about digging this topic up again..

I have the same problem as been above, the problem may be that the BIOS chip has gotten some damage... and needs specific BIOS for M/B but the thing is that my M/B does not take my Floppy drive and I cannot connect any FDD-s do it.... what should i do?

beama
21-12-2007, 05:59 AM
are you able to boot from usb device

if so

1. purchase a usb floppy and try that

2. put files on a usb pen stick and boot off that

pe1369
23-12-2007, 01:43 AM
I was given a PC with the same symptoms. After reading your posts, I pulled 3 pieces of RAM off, and found three different size, speeds. I put one piece of appropriate RAM in, and it started right up.

I'm sure there are several issues that may cause these symptoms. But you might check the RAM...

twinkleh
10-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I have to hit this up again. Don't complain about the bump, this thread is the first result in google for "BIOS ROM Checksum Error" and it's not even solved.

Two different rigs I own, both with an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe mobo, have this problem currently. The same exact error from the first post here. I have tried everything (that's every single one of the comments posted in here) and no dice. The computer I'm using now seems be the one of the two that is suffering less from this error (the other computer is totally unusable, this one boots 1/10 times).

Here are the specs:
PC 1: A7N8X-DLX, Athlon XP 1800+, 1536MB PC2700, 430W PSU, Enough cooling for 5 OC'd rigs.
PC 2: A7N8X-DLX, Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB PC3200, 500W PSU, Great cooling.

PLEASE HELP!
I think one error showed up after a RAM change, one after a slight overclock (50MHz over factory clock, but a high-end heatsink and fan were attached). And I have tried reversing the changes that MAY have caused it, but no luck still.

Speedy Gonzales
10-04-2008, 10:15 AM
See if there's a similar prob / fix in the ASUS forum (http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7N8X+Deluxe&board_id=1)

Try reflashing the BIOS

As stated here (http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-374792.html)

This guy (http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/motherboards-bios-cpu/35458-a7n8x-deluxe-cmos-chksum-error-post.html) reinstalled the CPU heatsink, which seemed to fix it

Terry Porritt
10-04-2008, 10:22 AM
As was indicated earlier in this thread, a BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR, usually indicates the BIOS chip itself is faulty, in which case there is no simple fix, except for trying to reflash the BIOS, or possibly replacing the BIOS chip if it is a plug-in type and you are able to get the correct one.

Graham L
10-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Since it's the CPU executing code it has read from the BIOS ROM to calculate the checksum, another possible cause of the error is that it's not reading the (perfect?) BIOS code wrongly. ;) Overclocking might cause this, I suppose. If the ROM can't be read at a higher bus speed than intended by its manufacturer, you will naturally get errors.

It seems that one computer can sometimes read the BIOS code correctly; that is a hint in that direction.

Can you make it/them run at a "conservative" (slower) speed?

atanasov1
23-05-2008, 09:07 AM
hello,
Sorry for bringing this post back but I can still not find the answer after a long search.

I have had the same exact problem with my pc for some time now. The "BIOS ROM checksum error" pops up everytime you turn on the computer and it searches for a cd drive or floppy drive.

It is searching for a awdflash.exe program which is used to update the BIOS. Everyone else that has this problem as well can put the cd that came with there MOBO in the drive and if finds the awdflash.exe file on the cd as well as the new BIOS file to update. You can also download the awdlfash.exe file and new BIOS file from the internet and save it to floppy.

Anyways once it recognises the file it loads the AwardBIOS flash Utility and tries to update the bios file. This is as far as I get because the program freezes on the first screen and just flashes "Please Wait" for hours.

So some might think it is a corrupted BIOS file but I dont think it is if ASUS is telling the truth. I am so frustrated, I sent my motherboard to ASUS 3 times!!! The first time they updated the BIOS chip, I dont know what they did the second time, but they finally sent me a reaplacement on the third time.

I have also replaced everything trying to find the problem! New Ram (different MHZ also), new harddrive, powersupply, even the processor, new graphics card. Could ASUS lie to me 3 times? I dont know what else to do.

Also there is no way to get to another screen, cant get to POST screen or the BIOS setup program. It just gives the error message and searches for a disk.

I have built many computers and have not had this problem, one day out of the blue I just turn on the system which was working great for 6 months and this happens.
I know all my parts are compatible and connected properly.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated, Thanks alot.

atanasov1
26-05-2008, 04:29 AM
well thanks for all the help!

ognen
27-02-2009, 03:39 AM
Firstly, hello to everyone because I am new registered on this forum and must admit that I use this forum to gather informations every time when I am stuck in a problem.Thank you all for the possible solutions.

Now, I had the same problem and fortunately 90% sure that I found some of the possible solutions of "BIOS ROM Checksum error" problem. I have an old HDD Samsung 20GB attached as a secondary and combined with SATA2 HDD Hitachi. For some time the 20GB HDD was not detected by the BIOS but still worked as a secondary. Suddenly this problem appeared, I unwired it and the problem solved. Try also to check if the RAM module pins are not filled with dust, because this might be the problem too fore some of you. It doesn't mean that all the time when this message shows up, the problem is damaged BIOS. PC's are mostly stupid machines hehe. That's it