PDA

View Full Version : OT: Living costs in London?

nomad
26-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Hiya

Does anyone know about he costs of living in London?
In particular I am interested to know the following on a weekly basis:

Rent (I seen 80 or 150 pund either single or double size rooms)
Supermarket (60)
Transport (30-40)

Monthly:
Internet connection?
Landline?
Mobile Phone
Electricity

I assume it should be not too $$ over NZ's for the later group.
I assume to expect 250-300 pound a week on expenditures?? I read meals and movie are $$, I read a medium restaurant for 2 = 40 pound and a movie = 4-10 pound per head ..

Nomad.

csinclair83
26-07-2003, 12:48 PM
i've got a friend who lives in london...
and dad goes over there on business trips..(hes there at the moment)
will copy ur thread and email them now...
probably wont hear back from them till 2nite (considering the time difference).....when i do..i'll paste them here :-)

Mike
26-07-2003, 01:54 PM
My cousin lived (I think might still be there) in London - found rent so expensive that it was much cheaper for his folks to take out a mortgage and buy him a flat in London and he paid off the mortgage and some :)

Mike.

caffy
26-07-2003, 03:31 PM
I know of someone who lived in London for 2 years or so.

She had to pay 100 pounds a week in rent. And this wasn't a particularly nice place - 6 people sharing 2 bedrooms.

You might ask why did she pick that place? Because all the other places she went to look at were very expensive in rent, like 200-300 pounds a week for her to have her own room.

vk_dre
26-07-2003, 04:04 PM
WHy would u want to live in London? Nz is a fine place to live. :D

cheers,
v.K

Misty
26-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Hi Nomad
Rent will depend a lot on area. If you are able to identify an area then I will send an email to our PressF1 member "kitty cat" who lives over there. She is in Wimbledon but that is relatively expensive. Are you looking for an area where there are lots of Kiwis and Aussies ? It would probably be a good idea then you get lots of support and pointers. Also they tend to live in less expensive areas I believe.

Initially it is a good idea, unless you have someone particular to go and stay with, to what is called "doss" at one of the flats for a short while. It is quite standard practice and usually means sleeping in the lounge or some corner somewhere. It is expected that you will contribute five pounds sterling per night. I have just checked and that is $13-76 at today's rates (great homepage is http://home.nzcity.co.nz/ )

Let me know about area, etc. Will not be able to get a reply until Tues (our time) as "Kitty cat" usually only uses internet at work.

cheers
Misty

Baldy
26-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Hiya Nomad,
Why would you bother with renting accomodation? Wouldn't you just pitch your tent?
Baldy

Thomas
26-07-2003, 06:17 PM
I don't think Nomad is a Toureg,or maybe I am wrong.

What a strange question,12 million people live there,it can't be all bad,if somewhat exorbitant to live there.(Why would you live in London)

Baldy
26-07-2003, 09:26 PM
> I don't think Nomad is a Toureg,or maybe I am wrong.
>
> What a strange question,12 million people live
> there,it can't be all bad,if somewhat exorbitant to
> live there.(Why would you live in London)

Most of them are living 12 to a room, in broom closets or are squatting. The only ones who can afford to pay rent are Harley St Doctors, the Horsey/polo set and Daddys little girls

Winston001
26-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Thomas - I think your intuition serves you well. Nomad probably is a Toureg - or a shoe.

Baldy- Are you by the slightest chance a ........leftie? Well good on you, we need balance in the world. I just don't agree.

Nomad - London is great. I recall sleeping on a construction site on Mayfair in 1982. Best address I ever had.
Anyway IMHO you should steer clear of the aussie/kiwi/south african neighbourhoods. I know people who have lived for two years in London and never made any English friends. Their whole community was other ex-pats. Might as well have gone to Sydney.

Cheers
Winston001

Heather P
26-07-2003, 10:46 PM
We were there in 95 for a month or so - half the time with relatives. The pound is deceptive. You look at something, think "oh, that's slightly cheaper than home", do a double take and think "bother! Multiply that by 3".

You've got to earn pounds to spend pounds. The dollar just vanishes.

20 or so years ago friends of ours moved to the UK for a couple of years. They looked at flats, winced, and bought a canal boat. Spent their time drifting round the canals and commuting to work from different spots. Now THAT's the way to go!

nomad
26-07-2003, 11:38 PM
I am job seeking. Hopefully I get successful on the job websites :D
London - good for the experience. And I prefer my own little room - at least I have it to myself ;)

Where to live in London? Dunno yet .. I am a fresher ... Hopefully not too far. I am willing to pay 100 pound per week, hopefully it leaves me $200NZ equivalent a week on the hand.

csinclair83
27-07-2003, 12:20 AM
i contacted me mate
hes gonna do some calculations..
with some rough costs for some nice areas (not expensive) of london..
and he hasnt been to the flicks for a while but will tell u the costs of them from the last time he went lol...amongestthe other stuff ur wondering
gonna expect a email sometime sunday my time ...

ur willing to pay 100pound week..thats $300 here...
if i am right that is...

Crunn
27-07-2003, 06:23 AM
Have just returned from the UK. I go back there occasionally just to reinforce that I don't like it ! Been in NZ for 30 years now. Some prices for you. Petrol is about $2.40 a litre. Top steak (fillet) is $98 a kilo. Minced meat is $18 per kilo. Leg of NZ lamb $85. An elderly couple in front of me in Sainsbury's had a bill of 241 pounds ($720) and the trolley wasn't even full ! That's food. House prices vary tremendously and hence do rents. My daughter in East Grinstead, which is south of London and in a good area, is 750 sq. feet and cost 178000 pounds. It's the middle of three. Old council house (state house). Rental is worth 750 pounds a month. My other daughter in the north west - near Blackpool- has just sold hers for 148000 pounds - it's about 1400 sq. feet. In London you can pay 90000 pounds for a one room flat - if you are lucky enough to find one. Rental is usually 200-400 pounds a week for a 2-3 bedroom place, but not in a flash area. The general rulke is read pounds for dollars, i.e. everything is three times the price. Unfortunately, wages are not three times higher !! How the poms live I have no idea. Having said that some thiongs are cheap - a tin of backed beans is about 30c.
As for internet - don't grumble about this country !!! Dial up is about 7-10 pounds a month, depending on who you are with. There are a lot of compound schemes as well, i.e. get your phone + internet for a bargain price ! ADSL is a joke. With the population of the UK at somewhere in the region of 57,000,000 (Britain only) you would expect every exchange to be hooked up to a DSLAM. No way ! Prices are about the same as here, 20-30 pounds a month. BUT, max of 512kb download. How the folk put up with dial up is a mystery. You can get a good connection speed - 47-49Kb but try doing any downloading and you might just as well go for a holiday whilst waiting. Even getting your e-mail is a marathon event !!
Best of luck if you are going, but make sure you get paid well and if it can be avaoided avoid London - way too expensive.

Crunn

Heather P
27-07-2003, 10:59 AM
My gut feeling was that pounds should be read as dollars. Crun has just confirmed it.

90,000 for a one bedroom flat - if you can one? Sounds a familiar figure for Auckland City.

241 for a half full trolley? Again sounds very familiar from my trip to Pak 'n Save last week.

Now canal boats on the other hand... (the one thing we miss out on here in NZ! We hired one for a week and loved it. A dream is to live on one for a year) Check out these links:
http://www.viking-afloat.co.uk/boat_sales.htm
http://www.englishwaterways.com/links.htm

Dolby Digital
27-07-2003, 11:51 AM
I wonder if you can get cheap(ish) internet connections on a canal boat.

Heather, if my wife reads this about canal boats, she gonna want to to go over. So then it will be your fault :D

If I can get access to the internet on the boat, it could be real fun... I wonder if you can drive a canal boat and surf the internet at the same time.

nomad
27-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks for ur replies. I will look into London as well as not in London.

I am renting a room, not a building :D
I am also not driving. Cannot afford a car so soon. Transport with the subways are great :) Do these link up most of the housing to the CBD
?:|

nomad
27-07-2003, 11:58 AM
Dolby,

Well there is always the pricey option of wireless or satillitte dish. :D

andy
27-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Be aware that although Internet connections may be cheap, you pay for all local calls, so your on-line experience costs by the minute! It can get expensive. Practice downloading your email then going off line to read it. My neice is in London at the moment and confirms that you pretty much pay in pounds what you pay here in dollars. The pub job with accomodation is still a good option - not much pay, but no rent. Suggest you move west to Slough (20 miles) or Reading (about 40 miles) - still only 20 -30 minutes on the train to London, and much cheaper living.
Enjoy your visit.

Heather P
27-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Dolby, that has always been the one draw back in my mind. However if you use a laptop and cellphone and keep your surfing to work I'm sure it could be overcome.

We heard about the canals a couple of months before we went. Our friends were so enthusiastic that we had to try it - and wished we'd thought of it 20 odd years ago. Who knows? We may have gone and stayed just for the boats.

The other half keeps talking about doing it again within the next few years. One major problem looms though (and it ain't just money) - The Dawg. We'll see.

Susan B
27-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Those canal boats sound like a lot of fun. I don't know that I would want to live on one through a winter though, they would be too damn cold wouldn't they?

Heather P
27-07-2003, 06:42 PM
insulation, central heating...

Mind you, we were there in summer during a heat wave. The Brits kept saying - NZ. Don't you find it hot there? Reply was that the weather they were having was worse than an Auckland summer!

Kitty Cat
28-07-2003, 09:25 PM
As Misty says I am living in London at the moment.
Rent is a big part of your expenses and you usually need to pay four weeks bond and then a couple of weeks to a month in advance. This can be a huge upfront cost in $NZ.
Sharing a house is the cheapest option. If you want to share a room it will probably cost around 50 a week. Small single rooms (and I mean small) start from around 60. You get these in the Antipodean areas like Acton (West London) or Shepard's Bush.
I know many people living in Tooting, a mainly Indian area down South (great for cheap Indian restaurants) good transport links and reasonably cheap. You can get a large double room in a big house here for around 70-80. It's not the nicest area in the world (smelly fish market and fairly dirty) but not unsafe.
General cost though is around 100 a week for a double room.
It would be a good idea to find out where you will be working before committing to a place so you don't have to travel too far. Backpackers are around 10 a night, but you get sick of it pretty quick!
In regards to other costs...
Basic food items are pretty cheap, bread, tinned goods etc, but you end up spending a fortune in supermarkets on fresh food. Markets sell fruit and vegies much cheaper than supermarkets. Movies vary a lot, costs around 10 in the city but some local cinemas only charge 3-5.
A pint will set you back around 2.60 in a pub, wine from 10. Much much cheaper to buy from off-licences (like dairies that sell beer!)

roofus
28-07-2003, 10:13 PM
lol, i like how an OT conversation on living costs in london turns to the price of dial-up and broadband :-) such geeks,

My sister lives in London, and as she has said and many others in this thread, you can't compare NZ$ to UK$ you need to earn pounds to spend pounds.

If you have a uni education you shouldn't have any trouble finding some of those UK$ to help you along the way

nomad
28-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Yep, I am a uni graduate. Seeking a career out of it ..

The thing I have stumble across is the salary is not that high when living costs can be so high. I am assuming 250 Pounds per week for expenditure. Heck, I have been on job websites and their pays are like 15-18k Pound annually. Hopefully I get 70 Pound left over in savings will be good :)

nzjacob
31-07-2003, 02:04 AM
I Currently Live in London.

My rent is 300 a month(avg size room), bills equel about 50 a month, high speed net is 25 a month. - Cant live on dialup its too iffy.

Depending on where you live, you could spend between 80 - 250 on travel. Good food is not cheap, but you can get by on 30 a week for groceries, but the pub is what gets ya. 3 for a pint

Mobiles are not too bad - 500mins a month for 20, but roaming and texting can be steep.

Pretty much, if you pay $10 in NZ, it will cost at least 5 over here.
Work on that ratio.

Good Luck

nomad
01-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the help. Now its much clearer ..
:)

Misty
01-08-2003, 05:55 PM
C'mon Nomad - You don't get off so easily !
What are your plans now ? What have you learned that is particularly relevant ?
cheers
Misty
:)

nomad
01-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Well, still need to secure a job via the net, prob via a telephone interview or such ...

What a learnt; there are ways of cutting down costs and having clearer understanding of the costs. Hope the potential flatmates are good, enof hot water :D

I could just get dialup with minimal hours - emails u see. Some forum work too and current affairs. It is a pretty $$ place to live. Wages does not really increase by much as the living cost ....

Living off a boat over winter is not a good idea ;)

Oh, a question if I could! Would anyone have ideas of regions which a fresh grad could get some reasonably price accom?:| I do not mind travelling, jus hope the subway/train caters the routes.. Just one condition, I do not want coronation street type accom :^O

tommy
01-08-2003, 08:21 PM
> Just one condition, I do not want coronation street type accom

Really? Then you have one big shock coming to you....... :D

Elephant
01-08-2003, 08:30 PM
I have resisted reading this thread as I have no idea about the living cost in London.

I have to say this though Misty....
What a very helpful post!! Keep up the good work.

> Hi Nomad
> Rent will depend a lot on area. If you are able to
> identify an area then I will send an email to our
> PressF1 member "kitty cat" who lives over there. She
> is in Wimbledon but that is relatively expensive.
I have always wanted to be a Womble. Could I live on "The Common" in a tent do you think? Just joking but it would be good. After all, certain citizens here in NZ live in tents on Public grounds. Myself included. I usually use DOC forest parks as opposed to Parliament grounds though.

> Are you looking for an area where there are lots of
> Kiwis and Aussies ? It would probably be a good
> idea then you get lots of support and pointers.
> Also they tend to live in less expensive areas I
> I believe.
That's good too. When I went to Aussie for twelve years ( as it happened ) I went to Sydney and linked with English people in Manly. We stayed in Manly six months then moved to Terrey Hills and got on with our lives there. It was good to have an initial contact with someone who could put us wise.
>
> Initially it is a good idea, unless you have someone
> particular to go and stay with, to what is called
> "doss" at one of the flats for a short while. It is
> quite standard practice and usually means sleeping in
> the lounge or some corner somewhere. It is expected
> that you will contribute five pounds sterling per
> night. I have just checked and that is $13-76 at
> today's rates (great homepage is
> http://home.nzcity.co.nz/ )
Yep.... The one I use and have done for some time now.
>
> Let me know about area, etc. Will not be able to get
> a reply until Tues (our time) as "Kitty cat" usually
> only uses internet at work.
>
Hope that person has no one looking over the shoulder like the NZOOM ad.
> cheers
> Misty
And you too!!!! :-)

Elephant
01-08-2003, 09:07 PM
> Well, still need to secure a job via the net, prob
> via a telephone interview or such ...
OK... I can understand that.

> What a learnt; there are ways of cutting down costs
> and having clearer understanding of the costs. Hope
> the potential flatmates are good, enof hot water :D
I can understand that too.

> I could just get dialup with minimal hours - emails u
> see. Some forum work too and current affairs. It is
> a pretty $$ place to live. Wages does not really
> increase by much as the living cost ....
>
> Living off a boat over winter is not a good idea ;)
>
> Oh, a question if I could! Would anyone have ideas
> of regions which a fresh grad could get some
> reasonably price accom?:| I do not mind travelling,
> jus hope the subway/train caters the routes.. Just
> one condition, I do not want coronation street type
> accom :^O

Here's my point.
If you read Mistys' post AND get the job then you know what you are up for.

Why not live in Coronation Street anyway?

I live in Tokoroa where the houses aren't glued together. Quarter acre section. Two bedroom house where my Wife ( whom I love dearly ) and I live. Rent at $80.00 per week and has been for the last six years.

We now have Wireless Broadband Internet access here and I signed up for it after years of using Xtra Dialup. I might add that I had no complaints with Xtra and if you want to stay with it then fine by me.

Cost me $60.00 + GST for them to install.
$50.00 + GST per month for all the internet I want. No capped Megabytes.

If you are still here in NZ then go and have the OE. It won't hurt that much.

When you get back then consider Tokoroa maybe.

csinclair83
01-08-2003, 10:59 PM
hey..
i know i promised to get back to u on this...i know it took a while but here i am...

heres his reply..the NZ$$ amount is in brackets...

I've tried to give a rough guide to costs of living here, but there are so many variables to take into account that i'll give a general amount, which you may find lower or higher depending on what you want or get.

Rent:
Depends which part of London, and the property type but generally you can get a double sized room near all amenities for around 120-200 ($360-$600) a week, house prices here have tripled in the last 2 years! so this has had an impact on rent prices, and you may find it is even more expensive than this, that's why I still live at home ;), to get cheaper rent you have to live further out of the city, but we have pretty good commuter links anyway.

Supermarket:
Depends how much you eat!, but for everyday items, (milk, tea, bread, butter, eggs, sugar, sandwich fillings etc) will be a around a 8 ($24) for the week, and just add on to that 1 ($3) per item of food, generally Supermarkets tend to be cheaper than the little "corner shops" that we have all over the place here, a weekly shop at the supermarket would cost you no more than about 35 ($100) and you would be able to get a wide range of food there too.

Transport:
Again does depend whether you live in central London or out in the suburbs, suburban travel to central London is more expensive, but a weekly Travelcard for most parts of London including the centre is 28.40 ($85.20) and entitles you travel on Tube, Overland Train, the Docklands Rail, Bus and Trams, and is very good value when bought in weekly or monthly formats.

Monthly:
Internet connection 56k unlimited dialup around 10-14 ($30-42)
Broadband/DSL from 18 ($54)

Landline:
Depends what operator you subscribe to but generally in the 10-15 ($30-45) range for actually having the line, plus your calls

Mobile Phone:
To pay as you go (no monthly contract) a phone costs from as little as 50 ($150) to buy and then we have four different operators charging different tariffs and are all different prices, but for normal usage i would estimate 25 ($75) a good starting point for monthly topup.

Electricity:
Is usually included in the rental of rooms, but sometimes isn't and you have to use a meter, generally, electricity is very cheap here anyway around 7p (21c) a K/W (1 K/W can power a light bulb for 10 hours)

Cinema:
Cinema tickets cost from 4 ($12) for local cinema, but if you go into central London or one of the big multiplex ones expect tickets to cost from 7 ($21), food and drink in cinema's is notoriously expensive, around double-triple what you would pay outside!

Resturants & eating out:
again, different establishments tend to charge different prices, but expect to pay around 20 ($60) per head for a good meal with a couple of drinks, add another 10 ($30) for starters and desert, and takeaway starting from around 2.50 ($7.50)

I hope this gives you some idea of the cost, but I know it is very expensive for kiwi's to live here because of the exchange rate.

hope this helps...
Cheerz