PDA

View Full Version : Windows boots, then errors

Polk
25-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Hey

Just installed Office 2000 on a mates comp and then we reboot to complete installation. But as it is rebooting it goes through its "setting up system settings" and so on. All seems fine. Then it comes up with a few error messages about certain .dll's and stuff. Then comes up with a illegal operation message about explorer. Reboot using ctrl-alt-del and get that same "Explorer has performed illegal operation" message again, and again, and again everytime we reboot! I rebooted into safe mode and got the same problem!!

Why would windows suddenyly corrupt like this after installing a simple programme such as office 2000! his computer did recently come back from a techs after some other problems, but it was working fine beore. He has also installed some camera software earlier, and had not rebooted. But the camera software was working perfectly, and uploading pics with no problems.

Any suggestions on how to fix?!?!

HP Pavilion
330MHz (somewhere around that)
Win 98

vk_dre
25-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Does it tell you which DLL's are corrupted because then u can copy those DLL's from the Win 98 cd to a floppy and boot thru that to make the computer run. (I'v done that with Win Xp only so i;m not that sure)

cheers,
v.K

Polk
26-07-2003, 09:00 AM
It did when it had the first few error messages while installing. But it only comes up with illegal operation messages now.

Help!

Polk
26-07-2003, 08:54 PM
TTT

vk_dre
27-07-2003, 12:48 AM
IS the Win98 cd bootable, if it is then boot it up using BIOS to set it as the first boot up device. From there it should mention which DLL's re being used from the CD. (I think) then write them down and do as wot i mentioned in the first post.

cheers,
v.K