PDA

View Full Version : Word 2002



JJJJJ
25-07-2003, 06:47 AM
Is anyone successfuly useing word 2002???
I have a file that contains about 100 pages. All I need to do is to format it and then I can print it.
Problem 1. When I remove a paragraph it leaves a blank space. Why doesn't the whole thing back up and fill the gaps. The only way I can do it is to select the following lot and then drag it up.
Problem 2. I want to change the font sizes and bold type numerous headings. I select the heading, resize it and the whole document resizes. If I select the heading and hit bold, the font size changes. Have you seen 100 pages written in 18 point?
I have been useing Word 6 for a few years and have never had this sort of problem. But then Word 6 came with an 800 page user manual. In this latest version the only help I can get is from a paper clip. Ask it a question and you get answers that have nothing to do with the problem. What else would you get from a paper clip?
Am I just stupid or is it Microsoft?
How will word 6 work with windows xp? I might have to go back to it.
Encouragement needed.
And why doesn't PC World put an automatic spell checker in this forum?
Jack.

Thomas
25-07-2003, 10:22 AM
When you say automatic,do you mean it corrects spelling without asking?
If so never heard of that b4.

Susan B
25-07-2003, 11:07 AM
> Is anyone successfuly useing word 2002???

Yes, I am. :-)


> Problem 1. When I remove a paragraph it leaves a blank space. Why doesn't the whole thing back up and fill the gaps. The only way I can do it is to select the following lot and then drag it up.

You probably have to remove one of the invisible paragraph breaks (what you get when you press Enter at the end of a sentence). Hold down Shift + Ctrl together then press the number 8 key to show all formatting marks - they look like this: .


> Problem 2. I want to change the font sizes and bold type numerous headings. I select the heading, resize it and the whole document resizes. If I select the heading and hit bold, the font size changes. Have you seen 100 pages written in 18 point?

Not sure why this would happen but revealing the formatting marks should show you where each paragraph begins and ends and help to select just the text you want changed.

Remember, if you delete a paragraph mark , the paragraph following the mark will merge with the previous paragraph and take on its formatting and spacing.


> I have been useing Word 6 for a few years and have never had this sort of problem. But then Word 6 came with an 800 page user manual. In this latest version the only help I can get is from a paper clip. Ask it a question and you get answers that have nothing to do with the problem. What else would you get from a paper clip? Am I just stupid or is it Microsoft?

I guess it is difficult to get used to new versions and it does help having a manual to browse through. It sometimes takes me ages to find out how to do things using the online "Help" when I don't know what keywords to use.


> How will word 6 work with windows xp? I might have to go back to it.

It will work very well but I would suggest you remove Word 2002 first, install Word 6 into one directory/folder and install Word 2002 into a separate directory/folder so you can use one or the other. That is what I have done purely because I cannot use my Word 6 Clipart Gallery in 2002. It would be a shame to completely ditch 2002 however, because it has quite a few new good features that are useful once you get to know them. And you have probably paid good money for it.


> Encouragement needed.

Keep it up, you will get there. :-)

Also, try looking on the web for Word tutorials. You can find lots of useful tips and tricks that are a big help sometimes. I used to have a good page in my Favorites but the site has gone now, unfortunately. Microsoft do have some good tips on their Office pages though.

If you still can't get Word 2002 to format your document I can have a look at it for you and see what the problem is because there are other things that Word does that can put sticks in the works.

Good luck. :-)

JJJJJ
25-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Thomas, Word does exactly thay.

JJJJJ
25-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Thank you Susan B.
Removing paragraph marks causes the paragraphs to pack together the way I want them. One problem fixed.
However half way through the document I select my section headings and click on bold. No problem the heading is bold. Iclick on 18 point font and all the document ahead of me goes to 18 point , and goes bold. Remember only the heading is selected. When I started it all worked correctly. Why should it suddenly change? There are just the normal formating marks.
I'm thinking of going out and buying a typewriter. Never had problems with them. Except with changing ribbons and fixed font sizes. and.... Bad idea.

Jen C
25-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Highlight a section of the text body that keeps getting converted to 18 pt and then check what is displayed under Styles up in the toolbar area. Does is say Heading 1 or Normal? If you have your set all your text as Heading 1, when you change a Heading to 18 pt, it will automatically change the rest of the document as well because it thinks it is all Heading as well. Does this make sense? You will need to change the text body back to Normal style.

These sites here may help you as well :
Make the Most of Word (http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/index.html)

Tips for Understanding Styles in Word (http://www.microsoft.com/office/using/column14.asp)

JJJJJ
25-07-2003, 03:29 PM
I have worked out how to get what I want.
Delete my heading, select 18 point, select bold, and the re type my heading. It mightn't be the correct way, but it works.