PDA

View Full Version : Linux & USB camera

mikebartnz
25-07-2003, 02:35 AM
Hi there all
I have a USB camera(Fujifilm FinePix 2800) with smartmedia which shows up under Info Centre as a scsi0 device(It is accessed just like a drive). Am trying to set up fstab. What is the true device? /usr/usb what; and what would be the file system eg vfat

Graham L
25-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Have a look down the /proc/ tree and you should be able to see what it is assigned to. (The tool to use for browsing everything is mc --- install it and use it :D).

Open a terminal window, plug the camera in, then "tail -20 /var/log/messsages". You might see some relevant messages.

It's probably a vfat, but it's easiest to use "-t auto".

mikebartnz
25-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks Graham L your a mine of info.

JohnD
25-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Entries in my fstab for Zip drive, pen drive and digital camera are as follows:

/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip vfat noauto,owner,rw 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/USB1 auto noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /mnt/USB2 auto noauto,owner 0 0

John

JohnD
25-07-2003, 11:55 PM
To see what device the camera is use:

cdrecord -scanbus

while logged in as root.

John

mikebartnz
26-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Thanks everyone have got the camera working just got to get my scanner working which is taking a bit of work but am getting there.
Just curious but what does the sd stand for (/dev/sd)

Graham L
26-07-2003, 03:24 PM
Probably "scsi device". It's a bit of a cheat. SCSI handles all sorts of devices, so one generic driver (sg) works for all. Then any odd device can be handled by writing an interface to the sg driver. The sg one handles the OS, which is tricky. (It has the advantage that some software can be written to handle "a scsi device", and the details are hidden from it.)