PDA

View Full Version : Mini PC.

Thomas
24-07-2003, 09:05 PM
Noticed no mention of these by the lads in the know!

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030722/index.html

Is there a reason ?

-=JM=-
24-07-2003, 09:27 PM
I know quite a few people with SFF PCs. Wouldn't mind one myself.

Lohsing
24-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Too expensive, runs too hot, not that upgradeable, etc etc etc... why spend that much on a PC when you can get a better mobo CPU combo which is more easily upgraded and with more PCI slots?

Lo.

-=JM=-
24-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Lohsing... I think you missed the whole small thing. ;)

Lohsing
25-07-2003, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I know... I did look at the Shuttle mini PC's not too long ago and also the new MSI one which is designed as a home theatre unit... prob is that benchmarks and performance didn't really balance out against price...

I do take your point on the small thing though! But even not being as price sensitive as the next person, I find it hard justifying the type of money required to get a small unit like those ones! ;)

Lo.

Elephant
25-07-2003, 12:13 AM
Yep.... Checked.... Don't want one.

Why would I tell *you* to get one?

Thomas
25-07-2003, 09:50 AM
I am reminded of a friend ,who bought a laptop,connected it to a slave unit(cant remember the proper name) then added a full size keyboard a mouse and then used it as a PC,all rather pointless!
I would have thought if one one was trying to save space,upwards is usually not a problem!

andy
25-07-2003, 06:48 PM
These are great! I have just finished putting something similar together. I wanted a jukebox / DVD player in the living room so I built a system based on the EPIA mini ITX mobo (comes with a built-in cpu equivalent to a P4 1.7), 256mb DDR ram, 120 gig HD and a DVD player. I have it connected into the AV amp (a Denon AVR 1803 unit ) and it uses the TV as a monitor ( a bit crude in the resolution but it works - okay for DVD playing). Control is with a wireless keyboard ands mouse ($99 from Stationery Warehouse).
The pc is fitted into a case about the sixe of a small video player, runs win 98 and boots straight into Media Jukebox. I have just finished converting my LP collection (197) and CD collection (about 200) into mp3 format (3600 files so far and I've still got about 700 audio tapes left to process!) collected over the last 40 years.
The upshot of all this is that I can now virtually instantly find and play any album or track in my music collection, the mp3 quality sound is okay for me (I listen to the music, not the imperfections of the recording, and 35 years of industrial noise have left me with fairly imperfect hearing anyway), and the unit sits unobtrusively on the on the shelf with the rest of the av gear.
If that's the sort of setup you're after, its well worth the effort! - Total cost was around $900.
Regards,
Andy

tweak\'e
25-07-2003, 09:21 PM
for a basic good looking pc that you wouldn't bother upgradeing they are a nice idea. however i would use the via CPU c3 simply due to the cooling. it won't be as powerfull but who needs a 3ghz to surf the web and write emails.