PDA

View Full Version : backed up the backup

upstage
23-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Don't ask why please. I have never backed up anything as i could not get my head around it but today I did. It asked if i wanted to back up all the files on my computer so i said yes and away i went then thought again - before my memory/harddrive got chocker i stopped and took a look at the c drive. It has never had been so full ! It used to be half full now it is three quarters full. How do I unbackup the files I so stupidly backed up I made a folder called backup but now i cant find the file. I did a search but nothing comes up that looks like the file i made. What can i do? Where can i find it?
I have windows me.
Regards a stupid 72 year old

Oxie
23-07-2003, 09:20 PM
upstage

Do a search on your computer for *.bkf. Hopefully you will find your backup file.

Oxie

stu140103
23-07-2003, 10:05 PM
> upstage
>
Edit: *.qic Not *.bkf for Win ME

> Do a search on your computer for *.qic. Hopefully
> you will find your backup file.

Billy T
23-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Hi upstage

Unless your HDD is cramped for space I wouldn't worry too much. A three quarters full 40GB drive still has 10GB of free space and that is heaps. However, I would always do some housekeeping and delete all temporary internet files etc before backing up as they can use up a lot of disk space.

I cleaned up the other day and got rid of 130MB of unwanted files just be eliminating the internet dross. That halved the number of files on my HDD!!!

Once your HDD is cleaned up, take the time to learn about backup so that you can limit the number of files saved. I am not familiar with ME but I am sure it can't be a boots and all backup without the option.

I use drive imaging for backups myself but that's another story.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

upstage
24-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Thank you so much for your help. I have deleted some of the backup files and run a 'fast clean' and it has shrunk abit. If I read my jdiskreport right, there is 4.5 GB space left free. You reckon that is enough? I may buy another computer next year but it really is extravagant. I just like fiddling about with new stuff so maybe not. I have taken your advice and now will let it be about trying to get it back to where it was. On opening the explorer tree files I have seen there is two folders names 'windows' and the report says they are taking up 1.1GB of space. Have I some how doubled up the window file? I remember when installing windows me it asked me do i want to back up windows 98. As it was automatic I did so. Can I delete or uninstall that 'extra windows folder'? How? Delete? There is also a lot of setup.exe files that belong to some old download programmes that I no longer use. Can I delete these too? My computer is running very nicely as I keep scanning and defraging a lot. I enjoy that- Keeping it in top order.
Thank you again for your time.
Regards

godfather
24-07-2003, 03:36 PM
The setup files can usually be trashed, as the installations have been completed. You may want to consider writing the install files to a CD to save downloading them again if ever you want to re-install though.

If in doubt, rename the file and try running the application, or delete them to the recycle bin and leave them there for a while until you are sure they are not missed.

Re having 2 "Windows" folders, I do not see how this could be, as you cannot have 2 folders of the same name on the same directory branch. Are you really sure they are both named Windows?

upstage
24-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks for your help I sort of knew i could delete those files but just had to be sure.
Yes true as true ! There is two folders named windows. When I use ad-ware i see them go past twice. as the programme snuff out the illegal ads
I press the keyboard keys to make the computer file tree come up with all the files ie programme files and all the others explorer, my downloads my music, and all the other files such as temp a myriad Starts with a, d, and c. the last one is the main one with everything on it. I don't use the d or a file at all now. This is a mystery to me also as it has been suggested before that i can't have two folders the same. Reckon I should just leave it as it is and forget about it?
Regards

godfather
24-07-2003, 05:50 PM
A: is your floppy disk drive

C: is your Hard Drive

D: is your CD ROM Drive (or CD-RW drive).

So, yes all your working files will be on C:

And if you really had 2 "Windows" directories on the same branch, your computer would fail miserably.

All I can say is, don't worry about it, treat it as an optical illusion. Its not causing you any worries, and if you browse to it with file explorer you would find that you have not actually got dual directories with the same name, on the same branch. There is no problem with the same name on another branch.

upstage
25-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Thank you everyone for having patients with this old codger !
God Father I will take your good advice and leave every thing alone and as is. If it is not broke don't fix it right! Thanks again for the help folks.
Until next time something usual happens lol
kind regards

godfather
25-07-2003, 01:21 PM
"Windows" folder can be replicated in other directory trees (Under Documents and Settings for example).

This is normal.

Mine has nothing in it but a "system folder, also empty

Where folders are on different branches its fine for names to be the same.