PDA

View Full Version : ?? Windows XP Unstable

aandhwhite
23-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Recently the mouse pointer has been disappearing from view and the screen then becomes 'unstable'. The mouse we use is Optical wheelmouse and if this is moved over desk-after pointer has disappeared varying images appear i.e. start menu etc.The problem can occur whether we are online or not and is intermittent. We have AVG antivirus which runs everyday/
Help Please

promethius
23-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Is the mouse ps2 or usb?

PoWa
23-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Ok name and brand of the mouse?

Also could you upload a screenshot of what happens when things go wrong?

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/?mode=home

Press the PrintScrn button on ya keyboard, go into paint Edit -> Paste, then save the image as a .jpg

aandhwhite
23-07-2003, 07:57 PM
The mouse is usb - has been in use since purchase of pc -approx 2 years ago

aandhwhite
23-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Hi - It is A4Tech- Optical GreatEye Wheelmouse model WOP-35.will try to get Print screen next time - Ta - Harold

Jen C
23-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Have you got a spare mouse, or one that you could borrow and try out. An uncontrollable mouse can be a sign of a dying mouse. Symptoms include various windows and menus popping up all over the place when moving the mouse around. It also can move in leaps and bounds making it difficult to actually direct it anywhere.

Have you added any new USB devices or hardware lately? Have a look in Control Panel > System > System Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager button. Expland the + besides Mice and other Pointing devices. Double click on the listed mouse. Check the device status and under Resorces for any conflicts.

Also check all connections and perhaps try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

aandhwhite
24-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Thanks - will get a spare one to try tomorrow.
Your symptoms seem to fit what has been happening .
I noticed when i went to the device manager that the mouse is PS/2 - noy usb as i said earlier. The device status indicated there were no conflicts.
I am using a usb connection _occasionally to upload pctures from t Kodak digital camera . Maybe that is the problem???
I will do uninstall of drivers tomorrow ( think i can find my way around that) Ta Again - Goodnight for now - Love this Press f1

aandhwhite
24-07-2003, 12:05 AM
P S - Also meant to add - the problem hasn't occurred since i first posted the message !!!!Murphy's Law???

PoWa
24-07-2003, 12:25 AM
Oh, clean the bottom of ure optical mouse. Make sure theres no grit/dust covering the little sensor thing. Usually fixes a few mysterious movements ;)

PoWa
24-07-2003, 12:28 AM
And hey whattya know, I am using that exact same mouse you are.

If it starts going weird I know to give the sensor a wipe with a tissue. The smallest things can stuff it up.

aandhwhite
26-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks everyone - problem seems to have fixed itself - combination of -Checking connection,wiping bottom of mouse i'm sure helped. I am better informed now if it happens again - T T F N - harold

Jester
26-07-2003, 08:53 PM
hiya

Even though you have fixed the problem, you can set the mouse cursor to hide when typing, which may have been part of the problem?

Start, settings , control panel, mouse.

Pointer options tab.

There is a click box there called 'hide pointer while typing'.

J
:D

promethius
26-07-2003, 10:57 PM
>Also could you upload a screenshot of what happens when things go wrong?

the mouse doesnt show when you printscreen :p

PoWa
26-07-2003, 11:18 PM
lol, didn't realise that one!