PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Network Bridge "Cable Unplugged"

PJ Mahan
23-07-2003, 01:00 PM
M/Board NVidia2 based chipset - Properties for device quoted are completely blank. I cannot add or configure any protocols. I cannot even delete it,
"an unexpected error occurred while configuring the Network Bridge" message is the result of such attempts.
I still have an internet connection, (problem PC is HOST) other PC's on the (home) network can see each other. Despite System Restore showing as "Monitoring" there are no System Restore Points to use. It all turned to custard by itself overnight. Any ideas anyone..?

Odin
23-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Try going in to your Device Manager and removing the network card. Or you can use Add/Remove Hardware to try and remove it then reboot and set it up again (I hope) :-)

Also I assume it is an On board Lan go and check the BIOS and disable it there reboot and then shutdown again and go back into the Bios again and re-enable it once more then start windows again and see if it gets detected again.

If it is a lan card Remove the card and put it into a differnt slot (warning you will not be able to use the previous IP address as that was assigned to the slot the card was origninally in, unless you successfully removed the device in windows before you took it out of the computer.)

PJ Mahan
27-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Update:

Well, despite the fact that I un-installed the device Driver, and re-booted, I still was unable to delete the Network Bridge.

I guess the good news, as far as I am concerned, is that I did manage to get my Home Network connected to the Internet, despite there being no apparent functioning Bridge.

And yes, the m/board does have on-board LAN

So, go figure!

But as they say, "if it ain't broken (no more) then don't fix it...)

colinba
27-07-2003, 05:33 PM
I was rebuilding a PC that had a NIC and Firewire with XP at home and had to disable the "Network Bridge" completely before I could network it through a switch to my two Win98SE machines.
Found this feature to be frustrating as I hadn't come across it before and wasn't 100% certain of its purpose!

Cheers