PDA

View Full Version : Icon Removal

Poppa John
22-07-2003, 09:24 PM
What is the easiest way to remove an unused icon from desktop but leave it in the "Start" "All Programs" area. Thanks. PJ

tweak\'e
22-07-2003, 09:34 PM
how about right click,select delete ??

Poppa John
22-07-2003, 09:37 PM
tweak'e. Yes thought of that but does it always remove the Icon only? PJ

tweak\'e
22-07-2003, 09:41 PM
yes. exept for a few things depending on OS as there are not actually icons but files in which case the OS won't let you delete it.

stu140103
22-07-2003, 09:46 PM
> tweak'e. Yes thought of that but does it always
> remove the Icon only?

yep :)

Poppa John
22-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys. I only!!! have 76 of the little beasties. Got to get rid of some. PJ

Susan B
22-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Are you talking about on the Win XP 'puter PJ? No matter, on either one just select the icon, put your index finger on a key labelled "Delete" and press it.

Done. :-)

Terry Porritt
22-07-2003, 10:06 PM
What I do Poppa J, is make folders for groups of similar icons, eg I gave a folder called encoders and players with one corresponding icon on the desk top. But in that folder, that is within the folder icon on the desktop are 22 other icons. I have several other icons like that which contain lots of similar topic applications.

It's one way of reducing the size of your desktop, I'm sure other people will have other ways of doing it too.

Terry Porritt
22-07-2003, 10:08 PM
......gave a folder??, I meant made a folder :)

Poppa John
22-07-2003, 10:11 PM
All OK Ta. Got down to 54 of the pretty pictures, & still thinking. Yes or No
Poppa John

Kiwitas
22-07-2003, 10:24 PM
Hi PJ,

An option that I use is to hide them behind the task-bar beside the START
button(except W98 makes you keep 4 of them showing!)

Then 1 click on the little chevron,and up they pop!
Easier than Start/Program,then the app you want!(1 less mouse-click);-0

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

mikebartnz
22-07-2003, 10:53 PM
I don't see the point of having folders on the desktop as the start menu is a better place for them. All I have on my desktop are programs that I will use when I first boot the PC. I have seen some desktops that would take you a half hour to find when not familiar so very pointless.

exLL
22-07-2003, 11:05 PM
>What I do Poppa J, is make folders for groups of similar icons............

Terry, does that make any difference to the start up speed of the computer, or have any other adverse effect?

eg. (Win 98), say three folders, each with lots of icons in them, as opposed to those same icons not in folders and scattered all over the desktop? (No Poppa J, I didn't say your desktop was an untidy mess! :D)

Terry Porritt
23-07-2003, 08:12 AM
Hi exLL, I'm not too sure on that, but I dont think that nested icons load any more slowly than icons linked to a single application.

If you have too many icons on the desktop then the stage can be reached when the shelliconcache file is too small to hold them all, and they have to be loaded from the apps themselves. This shows up by the icons coming up slowly one by one, filling in white squares, rather than 'boing' almost all at once. The file size then needs to be set to a bigger size.

I think XP is somewhat different to Win98, but not sure on that.

I can understand the desire for a clean desktop, but I personally prefer a visual link rather than having to scroll through a long list of apps all the while.
These nested folders are useful for storing links to data, which dont have short cuts of their own accord in the Start Menu, but everyone has their own likes/dislikes.

exLL
23-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Terry. Thanks for that, I found it most informative.

Cheers :)