PDA

View Full Version : Backup drive - NTFS or FAT32

Greg S
22-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi - my ongoing questions regarding my new XP...

I've got XP on my primary master, and am about to format the secondary master as a backup drive - mostly for data. I want to dual boot Win98 later from a partition on the pri/master, and will want to save data from both Win98 and XP to the backup drive. Should I format the sec/master as NTFS or FAT32, or will it be neccessary to create 1 partition for backups for each?

2nd question....please, what's the winipcfg command equivilent for XP?

Thanks.

Kame
22-07-2003, 04:37 PM
1. Make the backup drive FAT32 that way both WinXP and Win98 will be able to see that drive, Win98 can't read NTFS drives without having other programs to aid it and I'm still not certain if they have NTFS writing for it.

2. Depending on what you need to see, the equivalent is going to Start | Run typing cmd and then at the command prompt ipconfig use the switch /? e.g. ipconfig /? for help on commands. Useful command is ipconfig /a

You can also just look at the properties of your network connection which can show similar things.

Chilling_Silently
22-07-2003, 06:53 PM
> 2. Depending on what you need to see, the equivalent
> is going to Start | Run typing cmd and then at the
> command prompt ipconfig use the switch /? e.g.
> ipconfig /? for help on commands. Useful command is
> ipconfig /a

I only get the command list when I do that??

Are you sure you're not meaning ipconfig /all?
/a just brings up the list like the rest on my XP Pro system!?!

Iain Walmsley
22-07-2003, 07:01 PM
/a is an invalid switch for ipconfig, which is why you still get the command list. ipconfig /all is what you want to retrieve all networking address information.

Iain

Kame
22-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Sorry Chill,

It should be ipconfig /all

Been on Linux too long I'm being brainwashed.

Should have also tested it out myself, but I don't use ipconfig as I find just looking in the properties of my network connection is easier to find what I need and if I need my internet IP I just check my router or a website to tell me as ipconfig /all is pretty use to me.

Greg S
23-07-2003, 11:30 AM
Thanks folks.

When I right-click my Internet connection icon and select Status, under Details I get a Server IP address and a Client IP - I assume my IP is the Client and the Server IP is my ISP, right?

Kame
23-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Yes Greg that's right,

The Client IP is your IP (web) Address assigned to you by your ISP.

The server address I would need someone to back me up on this as I can't remember that as I haven't been on dialup in a very long time and I don't have any notes on it but I think it's your ISP's DNS server or Internet Gateway but it would be related to your ISP somehow. If I had a dialup connection I would have checked.

Kame
23-07-2003, 11:50 AM
If you could post the server IP address I could match it up with a list of DNS servers I've collected for NZ to see if they match, I'm sure it's the DNS server IP but I can't confirm it.

Greg S
23-07-2003, 11:53 AM

I'm on adsl not dialup, though I doubt that makes any diffs

Cheers