PDA

View Full Version : Linux printing

Dolby Digital
22-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Greetings fellow Linux...um... users (Is um ok?)

I have loaded Xandros (which is nice actually) and thought it was about time I tried printing to my Epson printer. Well, didn't go so well... still can't print even though I appear to have an Epson driver for it). What are other peoples experiences with printing. We can't take on Windows if we can't print :D

Graham L
22-07-2003, 03:16 PM
There are printers which don't with Windows XP. There are printers which get a Paperweight rating in the Linux printers list.

Try "Epson <your model> Linux" to google. (Epson have made a lot of models. Some are fine with Linux; some aren't. )

Most of the printere I have used have worked with Linux. But I've only used the straightforward lpr printing mechanism. I've heard that the "magicfilter" technique is a bit too clever. :D

Might pay to have a browse of the on-line "Rute" book for the printing section. It's very good. I've got the dead-tree version book at the moment, and I'm very impressed.

JohnD
22-07-2003, 07:48 PM
One of the best places to go is: http://www.linuxprinting.org/

Epson printers are pretty good with Linux. I have used an old 1994 300dpi Epson 300 and recently upgraded to Epson C61. Drivers were included with RedHat.

John

kiwistag
23-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Also try different interface services with Linux, such as LPD & CUPS.

Haven't had too much of a play with likes of these - I should really start using CUPS tho..