PDA

View Full Version : 32 Inches...

Winston001
21-07-2003, 11:56 PM
My apologies at the outset but I have come to think of you all as a charming, if disfunctional, set of relatives. This isn't a computer question.

Our 19 year old Panasonic TV has died. Guess they don't make them like they used to. My brother has a 25 year old Quintrix.... but I digress.

I want to get a 32 inch flat screen standard set (my wife doesn't know that yet) to replace. Not interested in widescreen (reviews not complimentary for the extra cost) and 50 MHz is probably fine.
Trouble is that I can't find any NZ net sites with info and choice.
Oh yes if a chap or chapess wants to buy a TV in America they are almost shoved through the modem but, apart from Noel Leeming, not much here.

Anyone have any knowledge about brands, reliability, options etc?

Murray P
22-07-2003, 01:07 AM
Pssst...don't let your wife see this if youv'e got your heart set on the 32". Bought a Philips 29" flat about a month ago for 1150. I know it's not a 32" but its plenty big enough for sport and movies unless you have a huge room to put it in. Mind you we've been squinting at a 14" for some time now since our Sony died after only 15 years of service, planned obsolesence, I say.

When looking around the Philips and Sony seemed to have, consistently, the best pictures although picture quality can be effected by where in the loop the TV is in the shop. We're very happy with the Philips but suspect we would have been just as pleased with a Sony, really came down to the deal and availibility in the end, as in deal done I want to plug it in at home today.

Found it hard to find sites for TV's as well and one I did have is now dead.

HTH Murray P

sc0ut
22-07-2003, 01:51 AM
http://trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/listings_category.asp?mcat=0124-0060-1342-

worth a quick look

sc0ut
22-07-2003, 01:52 AM
darn links
www.trademe.co.nz

MarkB
22-07-2003, 03:43 AM
Dont think you can go wrong with Phillips, they make good tvs.

I'd go for 100Hz over 50 Hz, and widescreen is really worth considering.
I recently bought 100hz toshiba 43" RPTV and wish I'd gone for 50" widescreen. Mainly because dvd and widescreen go hand in hand.

For info on prices the latest Tone mag has quite a few listed but not a lot of info about them.

There is an awesome NZ magazine full of information, prices etc called FFwd.

A good website for checking out different brands is

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

cheers

Mark

simonc
22-07-2003, 08:48 AM
I went through this a couple of years ago...
After looking at a variety of TV's (Phillips, Sony etc) I went for a
euro brand Loewe.
Picture is fantastic and most maodels have a 16x9 (widescreen) switch
so you can do a certain amount of futureproofing for digital broadcasts.
Sound is also good.
I work in the TV industry and I find after a day at work watching Sony monitors, the Loewe is a pleasure to watch at home...

The local Loewe dealers are Smith Sound in Auckland.
www.smithsound.co.nz (I think)

Hope this helps..

caffy
22-07-2003, 08:57 AM
I would have to say - remember that everyone's tastes are different, so to get the best TV for you, I'd suggest going into a shop and look at the tvs (if it's possible).

And also try and look for end of line tvs, eg the ones that aren't made anymore. My school recently bought a 68cm tv (big!! - and good for watching dvds on at school) and it was normally $1100 or something, but it since wasn't being made anymore (the particular model) so it was marked down to $800 - $900.

Thomas
22-07-2003, 09:49 AM
If you include yourself in the disfunctional bit, I will go with that,I mean to say,if you can't buy a TV set on your own what would you call that?;)

tweak\'e
22-07-2003, 11:52 AM
phillips make a lot of cheap nasty pc's. in the old days they where very very reliable. however thats all gone out the window. they can be a curse to fix, but you get what you pay for. having said that the TOP END MODELS are very good and are reliable. they are made in different factories to the cheaper range.

loewe make very nice tv's. they simply buy all the best parts for their tv's. very nice if you can afford it.

for the rest of use mere mortals panasonic and sony are still the top 2 and both have a range of models, from bottom end to top end.

the other thing to consider is service and parts. with a lot of the tv brands pulling out of nz over the years getting parts can be fun. also several brands now are supplying parts ex auzzie or asia.

Winston001
22-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Thomas - sharing and caring my man. Even you can learn - just keep away from the peyote/wine mix and ancient Mexicans.

Everyone else - thanks for your advice which I will follow up.

Cheers
Winston001

Graham L
22-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Me, I'm discharming, and functional.

Where are you going to find enough good programmes to justify a good TV set?

Thomas
22-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Well if you must,try a Bang and Oulefson,I can highly recommend them;)

And do remember you did say we were dysfunctional;)

Susan B
22-07-2003, 05:01 PM
> Where are you going to find enough good programmes to justify a good TV set?

From a video recorder and DVD player, of course. I have been told that the best TV programs are on during the day. ;-)

And in the middle of the night around the time when only the daft people are lurking on PF1. :D