View Full Version : Dell Processor upgrade

Maryann
20-07-2003, 10:28 PM
This is Poppa John using Maryann's M/c.
Had a look at Properties on this Dell m/c running 98se. The info says :-
Genuineintel
Pentium (r) 11 Processor
64mb ram ( Is actually 128mb)
Does the 2nd line specify the actual mhz of the processor, or is there a range of speeds within the Pentium 2 heading.
Is it possible to just take out the slower processor & fit a faster one without changing any other settings.
I can hear you now. "Maryann, keep the drongo away from your computer. He is a Computer Murderer" Pj admits he is incomptant around these new fangled M/cs. But the question still stands PJ
PS Waiting for Robo to go back to work tomorrow to continue the Printer/network problem ( I hope) PJ

godfather
20-07-2003, 10:57 PM
> Pentium (r) 11 Processor
> 64mb ram ( Is actually 128mb)

There is a range of speeds, and it depends on what the motherboard and BIOS will support. Would be hard to find many P2 s about now, but secondhand there would be some. From memory the P2 started at 233 MHz and finished about 450 MHz?

If Windows is reporting 64 MB of RAM, thats likely all its recognising as well. You may *think* you have 128 MB but maybe its not using the second stick at all?...

Jen C
20-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Hi PJ

If you want to find out more specific information about the PC, download the AIDA32 - Personal System Information (http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32) free program and run it. Under Computer, Computer summary, it will tell you what information it can glean from your system.

From this, you will be able to judge how far the PC can be upgraded.

Maryann
20-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Goggie. Other than taking the covers off, how can I tell the motherboard type/model & processor speed? PJ

godfather
20-07-2003, 11:30 PM
By running the program Jen has suggested, it *should* give you that info.
Have you lost your screwdriver and pliers PJ? Rip into it! Its not like its still under Warranty, only under Maryann's watchful eye afterall....be brave.

Maryann
20-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Goddie & Jen C.. Downloaded the Aida. Amazing what it can tell you. It even says there is a Canonn & an Epson printer connected to the network. I wish both these computers knew that. Yes it says 64 ram.
Also Intel Pentium11, 400MHz (4x100) & M/board is Dell Optiplex G1 400L+. Does this mean, as I am guessing, that a $00 processor is fitted? Or that 400 is the maximum. PJ

Maryann
20-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Goddie. I still have my old Leckies toolbelt. And I still have my marbles. However If I got stuck into Maryann's computer I would lose the "marbles". I may well be computer thick but I aint stoopid. PJ :D :D

godfather
20-07-2003, 11:46 PM
That means its a 400 MHZ so not much/any room to upgrade.
It also means its got 64 MB of RAM, not 128 as I suggested. If it has 128 MB then 64 has gone AWOL. Perhaps its got RAMnesia?

Gosh PJ, you are a timid thing. But then losing your marbles would be painful, particularly if Maryann used your Leckies tools to extract them.

Maryann
20-07-2003, 11:49 PM
OT for Goddie. The main comp is XP & I am using Adaware, does this also protect the Networked 98se?. If not I suppose I had better instal it.
Also In the midst of the ongoing printer problems we are having, I deleted the MS Personal Firewall, so now we have no firewall at all. Sygate is what I originally had till they started asking for money. Tried ZA but it was too restrictive when using the 98se. We should really have something, shouldn't we ?? PJ

Chilling_Silently
20-07-2003, 11:50 PM
> That means its a 400 MHZ so not much/any room to
> upgrade.

I agree, you're better off with a new motherboard/cpu, $300 at pricespy.co.nz will go a long way towards something like an Athlon XP 1800+ and a motherboard that'll support both your current SD-RAM (Im guessing you have SD-RAM.. should have that over EDO...) and also the faster DDR-RAM

> It also means its got 64 MB of RAM, not 128 as I
> suggested. If it has 128 MB then 64 has gone AWOL.
> Perhaps its got RAMnesia?

Could be shared with OnBoard VGA?

Chilling_Silently
20-07-2003, 11:53 PM
> Tried ZA but it was too restrictive when using the
> 98se. We should really have something, shouldn't we
> ?? PJ

Same here, but to be honest if you're only on 56k Dial-Up, then there's not as much risk surfin Un-Protected as if you were using ADSL or the likes, mainly due to the fact your connection isnt fast enough to support you/Maryann using it, while at the same time having a hacker try things.

Not to mention the fact that disconnect and re-connect, then the hacker is back to square one because your IP will have changed, unless they were able to install a trojan/worm that reports your IP back to them.. but that would take time...

Im surfing un-protected for now, but when I get JetStream Starter, then I'll put the sheilds up :-)

For anybody else:
Am I wrong in thinking Im relatively okay on Dial-Up surfing Un-Sheilded?

Maryann
21-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Chilling. All is as I suspected. Still, 2nd hand for $270 for the Tin Box only, a 20GB drive spare from the XP big comp fitted, with a 3mth warranty & setup to "talk" to the XP. Visit to home to Network them seemed good value. Now with Maryann heavily into Digital camera we could do with more speed. Ah well. We are happy. PJ :D See :D :D

tweak\'e
21-07-2003, 12:09 AM
>Am I wrong in thinking Im relatively okay on Dial-Up surfing Un-Sheilded?

yep your wrong imho ;-)

someone dosn't have to hack in to plant a trojen. just look at the amount of posts here about spyware and dailers that have been installed on peoples systems.

being on dailup can make it a wee bit harder and hackers would prefer a broadband user but you creditcard details, passwords, internet acc or just trash your pc for the hell of it.

Susan B
21-07-2003, 12:14 AM
PJ, Kerio is a free firewall that you could use but be warned that it takes quite a bit of learning how to drive it. A firewall is very handy for detecting things wanting to go OUT from your computer. Trojans and stuff like that.

Don't forget to bump up your networking post tomorrow if you still haven't got that one solved.

> Gosh PJ, you are a timid thing. But then losing your marbles would be painful, particularly if Maryann used your Leckies tools to extract them.

And take no notice of Godfather -- he is just as timid with his SWMBO. ;-)

Chilling_Silently
21-07-2003, 12:15 AM
But surely the majority of those are from people going to websites or installing program's and mindlessly agreeing to any popup that appears, such as the Gator stuff, DateManager etc.

Those arent just planted onto their PC's.. even Dialler's require the user to go to a website do they not?

tweak\'e
21-07-2003, 11:58 AM
yes and no. if i user goes to an infected web site you could be infected, either by virus or an app that exploits a hole in the browser.

a lot of dailers/spyware simply trick the an unwary user into oking it. some of it exploits holes in the browser so it auto installs. the only reason most people would spot it is when the firewall alerts you something new is trying to access the net.

kiwibeat
21-07-2003, 01:42 PM
I use 98 SE with Zone Alkarm Pro no problems with it at all setting s can be a little confusing but it can be turned off when accessing the net at any time