PDA

View Full Version : PRICE DEPRECIATION OF A LAPTOP

Smooth Criminal
20-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Hi, I bought a laptop six months ago and I want to sell it now. How can I figure out what price to charge? Is there a way to calculate the price depreciation of a laptop.

Smooth Criminal.

godfather
20-07-2003, 10:25 PM
There seems to have been a large price reduction lately, good spec new machines are now $2000 upwards. You might be disappointed with the price you can get.

No standard depreciation would apply, its what you can get for it. You might consider www.trademe.co.nz, or at least look at prices being bid there.

Post the specs in this thread and see if anyone has an idea?

Jester
21-07-2003, 12:16 AM
As with most things in this world, the price it is worth now is only what anyone would be prepared to pay for it. Therefore you generally cannot calculate a rate of depreciation to get its current market value.

Godfather's suggestion is also mine. Have a look around on trademe (at the bids, not the reserves), look in local trade & exchange mags, look in the newspaper, ask around in PC shops (although they would offer way below its value to buy it from you and sell it at above what you could sell it for), and post your specs here for comment. You may even get an offer to buy from here!

My initial thought however, is that anyone wanting to buy a second-hand computer wouldn't generally be looking at paying anymore than say 50% of what they could get a new one of similar or better specs.

Good luck

J
:D

Graham L
21-07-2003, 11:58 AM
The 50% applies the moment you open the box. :D That pretty well appllies to all electronic equipment these days. Apart from the obsolesecnce factor (worst in computer gear) it's no longer "new".

IOf course for [very/b] rapid depreciation, try dropping a laptop. Those screens are fragile. :_|

Smooth Criminal
21-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Compaq Evo N1015V

AMD 1800XP+ Mobile Chip
256MB RAM Memory
30GB HDD
DVD, CDRW Combo
ATI Mobility U1 16MB AGP 4X
Microsoft Windows Professional

I think I have put it up for $2200. There is nothing wrong with the PC bar some superficial scratches on the body which you have to really stare to pick up. I got Office XP on it for demo purposes. What do you think J? Sellable?

Smooth Criminal.

nomad
21-07-2003, 12:21 PM
it is not new right? obviously u have to accomodate that. try listing on www.trademe.co.nz and see how u go ...

not trying to be mean. but for that price, someone can go to the store and it will be new and come with a full warranty. if want to sell surely you need to accomodate that it has been used for sometime.

Susan B
21-07-2003, 09:03 PM
I think you will be very lucky to get that price for your laptop. HP are currently selling very similar rigs for that price, brand new.

No harm in trying though. :-)