PDA

View Full Version : Monitor shuts down after coming out of hibernate

Mike
20-07-2003, 10:55 AM
Occasionally when I turn my system on from Hibernate mode everything will load up fine but then the screen will turn off. I turn it back on and the picture is all garbled and then a message pops up about a serious system error and that I should restart. Restarting loads everything fine.

This only happens about once a week (or less). I very rarely use shut-down, I usually use hibernate.

Win XP Pro
GeForce MX440
Det drivers 44.03

Mike.

godfather
20-07-2003, 11:37 AM
I gave up using hibernate ages ago.
Odd problems would arise, often some time after the system had come out of hibernation, and all these symptoms totally disappeared when using shutdown. They included the monitor problems similar to yours, plus general stability of programs.

Came to the conclusion that while the hardware can offer the hibernate service OK, not much software can tolerate it.

This was determined using several different platforms, and OS versions. Nothing was ever totally repeatable, it was a bit random.
The only repeatable event was the cursor disappearing - text still worked but the cursor was not visible.

Laptop PC seems a bit better but not perfect. Odd things like losing the ability to copy/paste after hibernate still occur from time to time if I use it on the laptop.

Mike
20-07-2003, 11:41 AM
Interesting. This is the only problem I've ever had with hibernate, and it's only occurred in the last month or so. Mind you I don't usually leave much running when hibernating - I just use it mainly for the 15 second startup :)

Mike.

-=JM=-
20-07-2003, 10:58 PM
Can't say I've had any problems at all. Though I "suspend to RAM" instead of hibernating. It's much faster I find. Only problem is when someone decides your room needs a clean and the power gets bumped :(