PDA

View Full Version : DVD for backups

John H
19-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi folks

What is your opinion on using a DVD burner for backup purposes, as opposed to CD, in terms of reliability?

Are there advantages and disadvantages to the two main formats for this purpose?

Thanks for any opinions.

John

caffy
19-07-2003, 02:35 PM
This isn't about terms of reliability (as i dont know much information about dvd burners), but one thing i like about them is the capacity of the dvds - they can hold up to 4gigs or something.

I'm not sure if CD burners can write info onto a dvd (can they??).

But i am condisering buying a dvd burner when prices have gone down a bit, so will be interested in any replies to the original posting :)

Lohsing
19-07-2003, 02:48 PM
4.7 gigs of data, and easily the best thing since sliced bread.

Caffy - No, a CD writer can't write to a DVD recordable disc.

Lo.

caffy
19-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Rght, how about a DVD burner writing to a cd-r or cd-rw?

Chilling_Silently
19-07-2003, 02:56 PM
> Rght, how about a DVD burner writing to a cd-r or
> cd-rw?

Yup!

caffy
19-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Definitely will be looking into buying a DVD writer, then!

But not atm though, probably around the end of the year or next year, when prices go down *nods*

DMcKenzie
19-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Well I back up my DVD's to 2 Cds in DivX format. I can hardly notice the difference :)

Lots of people backup DVDs to DVD-R. I think you run into trouble if the disc is DVD-9, meaning a single-sided dual-layer DVD disc. DVD-9 can hold approximately 7.95 gigabytes of data.

I don't think there are any DVD-9 writers out yet??

Anyway for DVD->Cd-R DivX backup you can't get better than this Guide (http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm)

DMcKenzie
19-07-2003, 03:03 PM
And Lohsing,

A DVD disc that is one-sided single-layer disc and can contain up to 4.38 gigabytes of data on it.

DVD disc manufacturers love to use marketing terms and sell their discs as 4.7GB discs, but this is not true as the 4.7GB is calculated by using so-called "Japanese gigabytes", where the power of calculations is 1,000 instead of 1,024 (and 1.024 is the correct way to calculate everything in computer world -- so, 1024 megabytes == 1 gigabyte).

DVD-R = 4.38GB

Chilling_Silently
19-07-2003, 03:04 PM
They're great in that they hold around 2x as much, but the skip is a bit annoying during the middle of a DVD.. however, it is minor ;-)

Lohsing
19-07-2003, 04:27 PM
> A DVD disc that is one-sided single-layer disc and
> can contain up to 4.38 gigabytes of data on it.
>
> DVD disc manufacturers love to use marketing terms
> and sell their discs as 4.7GB discs, but this is not
> true as the 4.7GB is calculated by using so-called
> "Japanese gigabytes", where the power of calculations
> is 1,000 instead of 1,024 (and 1.024 is the correct
> way to calculate everything in computer world -- so,
> 1024 megabytes == 1 gigabyte).
>
> DVD-R = 4.38GB

Yeah... I knew that, but the technicalities of it really annoy me... don't get me started on the DVD-R vs the DVD+R format either. ;)

Lo.

DMcKenzie
19-07-2003, 04:35 PM
lol Don't worry I won't :p

Big John
21-07-2003, 11:00 AM
> Well I back up my DVD's to 2 Cds in DivX format. I
> can hardly notice the difference :)

I think he may have been refering to backing up hard drives to DVD disks. I may be wrong though.

I do it all the time. I use Drive Image to back up my drives and then copy the image files to the DVD. It works 100% and very fast as well compared to CD's

John H
21-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Thank you to everyone for your helpful replies - apologies for the silence but I have been travelling a bit - 8 plane flights last week...

>I think he may have been refering to backing up hard drives to DVD disks. I may be wrong though.

Thanks Big John, that is what I was referring to. I had heard (somewhere?) that the DVD burning technology was not all that flash yet, and that there have been concerns about using DVDs to back up data, as opposed to other media such as another hard drive or CDs. I understood that the DVD backups were not particularly reliable.

My other question was a trifle obscure. I am aware that there are several different DVD formats - DVD+, DVD-, and DVD RAM. I was wondering if there is any significant advantage of one over 'tother for backup purposes.

Any thoughts on DVD+, DVD-, and DVD RAM?

Thanks
John

Lohsing
21-07-2003, 01:58 PM
In terms of speed, DVD+ format writes at a faster speed, but for DVD movie back-ups, a lot of players will not recognise the disc... so DVD- format is better for movies.

For straight data back-up, a DVD+ writer should be sufficient.

Lo.

John H
21-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks Lohsing. It would be too much to hope that they would come out with one agreed format that was good for most things, eh???

Ta again. Good hints.

John

Lohsing
21-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Yeah, that's what happens when you don't have one agreed format... either way, perhaps look at a Sony dual format writer?

Lo.

John H
21-07-2003, 03:07 PM
I was wondering about that Sony writer for that reason Lohsing. They are over $600 at the mo, but there has been a recent release of two new Pioneer writers:

Pioneer DVR-A06P, DVD±RW/±R Writer, DVD 12R/4W/2.4RW, CD 32R/16W/10RW, Internal, IDE at approx $590, and a

Pioneer DVR-I06, DVD±RW/±R Writer, DVD 12R/4W/2.4RW, CD 32R/16W/10RW, Internal, IDE, Beige, OEM, No Software at approx $450.

I think the Sony has higher specs, but the prices are obviously starting to come down, which is what has sparked my interest again. Not too interested in one without software though!

Lohsing
21-07-2003, 03:13 PM
All writers are compatible with Nero (at least Pioneer and Sony are) ... read that Pioneer are going dual format shortly too!

Haven't had probs with Sony at all... I think you'll find getting your hands on decent media the hardest part. If the Pioneer is dual format, you may as well grab one of those!

Lo.

John H
21-07-2003, 03:14 PM
BTW, I just checked the CDClone website, and they have now released DVDClone. The former software is great for making backups of audio CDs, so it may be worth checking DVDClone out for the same purpose for DVDs.

If you will excuse their self serving bulldust from their website, this is what they say:

CloneDVD extracts, transcodes and writes any orginal DVD title you like to a single recordable DVD. Be impressed by the program speed and the amazing image quality of the movie copy. A special transcoding technology compresses your choice of DVD title with your selected audio and subtitle streams to one DVD Recordable. A Video Preview plays an overview of all selectable DVD titles. CloneDVD is very easy to use. Our unique Film Strip will guide you step by step through all settings - very suitable for beginners!
• Copies movies in top quality!
• Extracts, transcodes and writes any orginal DVD title you like to a single recordable DVD
• You can include or exclude the original menu
• Uses high-quality transcoding technology
• EXTRA CRUNCHY: Crunches (compresses) your choice of DVD titles with your selected Audio- and Subtitle Streams to one DVD Recordable
• Impressive program speed
• Video Preview plays an overview of all selectable DVD titles
• Very easy to use: Our unique Film Strip will guide you step by step through all settings - very suitable for beginners!
• Image Quality: With an average selection of Audio- and Subtitle streams you will not notice a difference in comparison to the original. No block-artefacts
• Preferences: Memorizes the last settings that were made by the user and proposes it the next time the program starts
• Works with most hardware and software DVD Players
• Writes on DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW
• Stable and fast, does not need an ASPI driver
• Distinguished technical support und customer care
• 24 hours, 7 days a week access to new updates and online help

John H
21-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Duh! I should have called it CloneCD, and CloneDVD - sorry. Their website is:
http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_dvd/index.html

Lohsing
21-07-2003, 03:15 PM
There's better freeware options out there and if you wanted some info on what to look for, I'm more than happy to help out!

I personally use DVD Decrypter, and also DVDShrink 2.3. But there's like at least 4 diff ways of backing up a DVD that I can think of...

Lo.

Dragonslayer
22-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Im using CloneDVD and also DVDXpress to back up my DVD's, just got one of those PIONEER DVR-106 multi-format models (DVD+-R/RW), best of both worlds.
If you want storage, and are waiting till the end of this year/next year, then maybe you should look at the bluray DVD writers that are coming out, round 40G of storage (From Memory), however you can't back up your movies to them, and run it through a player.