PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95

ianhnz
19-07-2003, 11:01 AM
I have an old 233 MMX which I am trying setting up for Word processing and Email only. Problem is I can not log onto the internet. I have set up dialer. dials out and comes back with an error message to check my network setting in Control Panel. I have rung Xtra and they either wouldn't or couldn't help. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME??????

tommy
19-07-2003, 11:24 AM
No one can help with that amount of limited information. What version of Windows are you talking about? How did you "set up dialer"? Is your computer a stand-alone or part of a network?

mark c
19-07-2003, 11:32 AM
I guess your comp isn't on a network so go into yr control panel and check you haven't got anything to do with a being on a network checked.

Graham L
19-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Since youi can get here, you have got access to the Internet. Go to Xtra's home page. Down a few pages there is a complete description of how to set up for accessing Xtra.

I went through that trying to help a lady get connected with a 486 (with 8MB) which had "been regularly used to access" Xtra. :D

I had a lot of trouble ... following those instaructions, I couldn't log in. I knew the modem was a 14.4 k one. Fine. But the Eprom on the card with the code of the modem had its power supply pin bent out so it didn't work. The modem was defaulting to a speed below Xtra's minumum. I discovered this after I'd sent the guy who had roped me in to buy a more modern card, and pulled the original.

The instructions they give will work. But look at their miniumum specifications. The ones they give on the CD apply to the version of Explorer they install, so if you don't do the CD installation, you should be OK. But their modem speed does matter.

tweak\'e
19-07-2003, 01:47 PM
i've stuck that problem recently with a win95 pc and xtra. it required the dailup networking 1.4 patch before it would work.