PDA

View Full Version : Port forwarding for games on an ADSL router?

DMcKenzie
18-07-2003, 11:58 PM
> Dynalink RTA300 ADSL Router
> Windows Xp Pro

Hi

I've got a problem with a few games (Dark Reign 2 and World War 3 - Black Gold).

I can't host any games when using the router (no-one can join the games I create). I'm thinking this is because no-one can make a direct connection with my computer, which is what is required.

I was told that I should make the router forward packets on the specific ports that the games use to the computer I'm on. For example one of the games uses ports 17771 and 17171.

So how do I tell the router to forward/recieve anything on those ports directly to my computer (192.168.1.xx) hence making a direct connection.

NAT and IDS are enabled on the connection and the firewall is set to Off. I'm using Cat5e cabling between my computer and router. I have also updated the router's firmware to the latest revision.

Any help much appreciated and thanks very much for your time,

-David.

Don't ever buy from the PC Company. Just like you
wouldn't shop at the Warehouse if you were looking for good
quality goods and service, same concept applies with the
PC Company supermarket.

Odin
19-07-2003, 12:28 AM
You need to create a Virtual Server within your Router. Log into your router as normal like you did when you set it up (use your browser to do this) Then under configuration click virtual server and create a TCP and UPD pinhole for the ports you mentioned.

DMcKenzie
19-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Hi thanks Odin, I have tried what you said and used Norton Firewall to determine all the ports the games are running on and if it is TCP/UDP.

I have created about 20 different virtual servers that all point to my computer on dif ports and protocols and still no-one can connect to my games. I've also saved the configuration and reset the router as well.

Heres a pic of the situation: Virtual Server page (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/?grab=ADSL router pic.jpg)

I know we are very close to the solution now :)

DMcKenzie
19-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Still not working :(

Odin
20-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Those are actually unusual ports for a game. There should be an option in game that tells you what port it does actually use and you should also be able to change the port that the game uses to one of your own chosing. If not then check out the support for the game on their website and ask them what ports you need to open to get it to work.

Also have you enabled the built in firewall of the router, if so then you will have to open those ports as well. Eeven though it says that the firewall does not override the Virtual server settings I have found that it does. Try disabling Norton firewall as well and see if your friends can connect.