PDA

View Full Version : Error - there is no disc in the drive

WalOne
18-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Help! Windows XP ... I copy data files to CD-RW Drive E and these show as "Files ready to be written to the CD". I click on "Write these files to the CD" then the Wizard takes over only to tell me "There is no disc in the drive - insert a writeable disc". I'm using new unused CD-RW (tried several new ones) and the drive reads other CD's OK. Any thoughts?

godfather
18-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Experience here has shown CD-RW to be less than reliable as a storage medium...have you tried any CD-R disks, and do these give any error?

It suggests that the drive is unable to detect the media, in that it cannot write to it and then read back. This can happen if the CD-RW is not rated at a suitable speed to be compatable with the drive.

WalOne
18-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks - tried a new CD-R but with the same result unfortunately.

FrankS
18-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Have a look at the CD-RW disc, it should have on it something like 1X -4x compatible, go into the specs for your CD-RWdrive, they should tell you the X range it will accept. Sounds as suggested previously that these do not match.
Suggest advise list your CDRW drive programme and have a search in archives for CDRW

FrankS
19-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Knew there was someting else I should have mentioned, have a look at
http://www.cdrfaq.org/ lots of useful info
Did you try another make of CDRW disc?. Not very frequent but you can get dud batches of floppies and discs

WalOne
19-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks re cdrfaq.org - looks to be very helpful and a vast amount of info there to browse.