PDA

View Full Version : Pentium 4 noise

sandy beach
17-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Hiya,

I am a bit worried about my Pentium 4 processor. Not the processor itself, but that after a upgrade the last 2 weeks ago, there is a high hum noise.

You see, I had a Pentium III before and it wasn't that noisey, but when I upgraded to a Pentium 4, just after 1 week after purchase, one of the fans (motherboard) starts to spin quickly, and sounds like gears being changed fast (like on a car), once I switch my computer from a cold boot.

The bios screen indicates that the system is healthy, and I have tried using software to test the cpu, and other free cpu utensils. Even the Intel Processor Frequency program says its going at the required speeds:

Expected Processor Frequency: 2.40 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 2.40 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz

However, I have update the bios from the internet. Since there was one available for my motherboard and tried using the Default Fail/Safe and Optimized options (bios) to make it less noisey, when I first brough it.

Is this high hum normal for a Pentium 4 ? Can anyone suggest or explain any possible reasons.

Many thanks

Specs:
Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
256DDR Ram
GA-8SG800 (Gigabyte Motherboard)

Patrick 2003
17-07-2003, 05:32 PM
hey
since you upgraded it it has to spin the fan faster to keep the cpu cool. therefore if you buy a bigger fan for it it will not have to spin as fast and then with a bigger fan it will have more air flowing through

Biggles
17-07-2003, 05:35 PM
The chip doesn't make any sound - it just sits there exuding mild am,ounts of heat.

It's the bloody fan stuck on top of the heta sink that makes the noise. It sounds like your fan may be faulty - I assume it is in fact a fan sitting on top of the CPU that is causing the noise and not another fan in the case?

sandy beach
17-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi,

Umm.. the fan for the CPU is the (Intel) that came with the box for a 478 socket cpu (If that means anything). But looking at what you guys have explained to me (logically) I can now kinda understand why it is noisey.

What I am even more confused is the reading I get from Gigabytes "Easy Tune 4" utility.

It shows up in red, that it is abnormal. But Intels frequency utility shows it is going at the required rate.

Even more, is there any reason for me to continue to panic.

Thanks guys for replying

Greg S
17-07-2003, 08:11 PM
You'll probably find that your motherboard CD has a utility that you can install that will check CPU speed and temperature, which may be worthwhile running.

Remember that you may have 5 or more fans running at the same time - eg 1 or 2 on the power supply unit, 1 on cpu, 1 or 2 on the graphics card, and 1 or more on the case. So you'll need to establish exactly which one is causing the issue

sandy beach
17-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Hi Greg,

Indeed that you are also right there!!

I do have a total of 5 fans in my case, 2 x PSU, 1 x CPU 1x MB 1x Graphics Card.

However, I do have the utility and Bios to monitor the temperature of my CPU, but I am not confident in changing the Frequency /voltage, linear frequencies etc.. to find a suitable or recommended setting for the CPU.

At the moment, my CPU is running approx between 220c - 250c (Degrees Celcius)

Do you know of a setting I should use or software program that will show be the best setting for my CPU?

Thanks for replying

bmason
17-07-2003, 09:54 PM
I hope you dropped a decimal place in those temperatures!

The best settings for your processor are the default values you are currently using.

The easytune programme is for overclockers (people who like to run their hardware above the manufacturer specifications). Otherwise leave it alone, it is possible to do damage using it.

sandy beach
17-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Hi,

Ok, them temperatures should have decimal places.

At this moment since I have noticed the sudden increase of "humming" noise from my pc case, I did resort to using the default values, in BIOS.

As for the EasyTune Program, I was baffled why this program was showing "adnormal readings" when the CPU is set to its original default values done by the BIOS and yet the Intel frequency utility seems to show that its fine.

Is there any logical reason for me to panic or ignore these signs?

Thanks bmason for your reply.

blank_harry
17-07-2003, 11:43 PM
Your noise issue might have something to do with one of the bearings in one of the fans in as much as the noise indicates the fan is about to fail because the bearing is faulty.

Once the bearing fails the fan will no longer spin. Generally, faulty bearings make a high pitched whine.

So - if this guess of mine has any bearing, excuse the pun - you'd better find out pronto which fan is about to fail. You'll need to isolate which of the fans is making the most amount of noise.

That's where it gets complicated; unless you have the hearing capabilities of superman and the smarts of wonderwoman.

Start with the AGP card. Remove it from the motherboard. Start your beast up. If the whining sound is present without the AGP card, then it's not the AGP card fan.

Be aware that by removing your AGP card from your motherboard and then turning the PC on may have unforeseen consquences. Follow blank_harry's suggestion at your own risk/expense.

I have no idea how you go about testing the CPU and the POWER supply fans since they're not part of the trade down my way.

Anyhow, just so you know that this post to you is no bull as in Red Wings Gives You Bull I had a very similar problem to you last week.

My remedy? Well, first I removed and replaced the CPU fan. The problem was not resolved.

So, I bought a cheapo Geforce 256 AGP card, and voila problem resolved. Clearly the fan on my original AGP card was the source of the whining sound. Also, I do not have the smarts of wonderwoman nor the ears of superman. I do however have a wallet similar to Uncle Scrooge's.

Good luck. Watch that screwdriver !!

metla
18-07-2003, 12:05 AM
heh...i just use my finger to stop each fan for a second to see if the noise goes away(not the cpu fan though,but i pause case and video card fans this way)

sandy beach
18-07-2003, 12:50 AM
Well put [ ] harry!!

My mind was [ ] after reading the finer points, but was undoubtly very amused with your sense of witt.

Now, feeling slightly confident and convienced with these possibilities, I can at least bring this matter along with the other suggestions to the computer store whom had this cpu installed.

Cheers

sandy beach
18-07-2003, 12:53 AM
To Metla,

Oh I see.....

We have another comedian in town. Indeed, i have been tempted to do this too!

Cheers