PDA

View Full Version : download programs!?

Synchronized_Thoughts
17-07-2003, 12:29 PM
ok people i was jut wondering, what the differance between WinMx, Kazaa lite 2.4.0, Piolet, morpheus 3.2 and any other that are out there i have never heard of!? which one has the fastest downloads!? whats the differance to these programs!? allllll Help appreciated:)

Thanx

ST

tweak\'e
17-07-2003, 12:39 PM
most of those are peer to peer networks. a few of them require a central server to work ie if the server is down then the whole network is down.

> which one has the fastest downloads!?

all depends on which one has the most people shareing the most useing broadband. you can only download as fast as they can upload.

kazaa is proberly the biggest but others can be better for other things. winMX tends to be better for good quality music, edonky was setup for shareing movies.

personally i get sick of kazaa.....to much rubbish. to many kiddos shareing bogus movies, damaged mp3's, low quality mp3, half a jpeg etc. however you will find stuff on it that i can't find on the others.

Odin
17-07-2003, 02:27 PM
None of them are faster than the other as it totally dependant on the person whom you are getting the file from. DC++ seems to be the in thing now and there are NZ only hubs so you won't use any of your international bandwidth if you use jetstart but the selection of files is limited.

Warren
17-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi Odin
Can you explain more about DC++
I have never heard of it and want to know more

Cheers

Odin
17-07-2003, 02:42 PM
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/

That link will take you to the homepage of DC++

Basically you use this program to connect to HUBS of which as I said there are NZ only ones. Most NZ ones have a minium share between 1 gig and 10 gig and overseas ones have between a 10 and 50 gig min share. I can post a couple of the NZ hub address if you like.

One important thing with any P2P program Make sure you have a Virus scanner AND a good Firewall as the anyone downloading off you will still do so even when you shutdown the program this applies to ANY like kazaa or DC++.

Warren
17-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Ok thanks
Been using Kazaa lite for ages and thought i might try this one out
Using a firewall and anti virus
Every time i log on to Kazaa it get intrusion logs on my firewall so being very careful

Odin
17-07-2003, 03:01 PM
That won't change. I shut down DC++ an hour agao and I am still being hit by attempts on the port I set for DC++ (which btw you can change to any unsed port you want fo long as you pinhole your router and firewall as well) Most of the attempts are simply a continuation of the file downloads or uploads.

With Kazza they are usually hack attempts or port probes

tweak\'e
17-07-2003, 03:23 PM
i'm not a huge fan of dc++ mainly due to most servers having limits ie you have to have cable and share so many gigs of files. it also depends on the admins personality. i got booted and locked out from one simply due to the admin not likeing what i had to share. that might explain why noone else was on it. unforunatly with non-p2p shareing programs you will always have that problem.

Chilling_Silently
17-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Speed is likely affected by your end also.. Not quite so much at the sending end.

I agree with what Tweak'e said about WinMX and KaZaA too!

To be honest, even if you had JetStream Starter, you should be able to max that out without even trying for most popular MP3/MPeg searches!

Getting a faster connection would help with speeds... also depends on what else you're doing while you're online, such as Chatting, Surfing etc. as to how much bandwidth is available for p2p apps to use :-)

Patrick 2003
17-07-2003, 05:29 PM
p2p are great but you need to know which ones are good and which are bad. winmx can take ages to connect but then it is not too bad. kazaa is the best but unfortunately it has spy ware are this can be a very big turn down with many people not realising that this is happening on there pc's so i recommend you get kazaa lite it is totally FREE and has NO spyware and No ads on it.
it helps to have a good connection to the internet and with kazaa lite it has the option to pause and resume the download later
hope that helps

Chilling_Silently
17-07-2003, 09:22 PM
WinMX is only slow to connect if you cannot receive UDP connections and other things that it tries to setup at the start.

If you skip that, then yes, it is slower.. but its not the makers of WinMX that skipped it, so I wouldnt go crying...

;-)

On Dial-Up, connection usually takes me 5-6 seconds!