PDA

View Full Version : Removing RealPlayer

j.harper
17-07-2003, 09:10 AM
I installed RealPlayer to see some clips but found it was rather intrusive and have tried to uninstall.

I've used RealPlayer's own uninstall process but have stalled with a file called 'Real Download' which wants me to choose which programme to use to open a file called 'mediaobj.dll' .

What opens a dll file? I'm presuming that to simply delete from the Explorer screen would be the worst thing to do. But where do I go from here? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jay

robo
17-07-2003, 09:23 AM
When is it asking you to do this? On startup? Is there something you can simply remove from the startup group?

(and I agree, realplayer is a shocker)
robo.

j.harper
17-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Just to clarify - Going through Start, Programs, Real, Real Download, uninstall Real Download - then come up with an "Open With " box which wants me select a programme to open the file 'mediaobj.dll' . Does that explain?

What's left of the RealPlayer files seems to take only 3.6MB but I would rather get rid of it all and remove the details from the lists.

Thanks again.

tweak\'e
17-07-2003, 11:53 AM
just out of interest there is a prog called "real alternative" thats spose to be a "modded" ver of real player. also there is a realmedia directshow wrapper so you can play most realmedia with wmp or your favorite player....eg zoomplayer. however it requiress the realmedia codecs to be installed (need real player or real alternative installed).

stu140103
17-07-2003, 12:51 PM
> Just to clarify - Going through Start, Programs,
> Real, Real Download, uninstall Real Download - then
> come up with an "Open With " box which wants me
> select a programme to open the file 'mediaobj.dll' .
> Does that explain?

Yep, :)hmmm weird

This may help or not ;), re install real player then go to Control Panel > add/remove programs find real player then uninstall it throw there & see if that help.

Note: I have one before successfully uninstall real player :)

Warren
17-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Yeah
Real Player is definitely one piece of software you do not want on your PC
Tried it once and when it tried to take over the desktop i got rid of it
Can't recall how i did it though
Might have been a case of formatting and reloading windows....lol

j.harper
17-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all help. Found the only truly effective method to get rid of the Realplayer tail-end was a complete reinstall and then uninstall differently.