PDA

View Full Version : Merging Partitions

brassmonkey
17-07-2003, 01:01 AM
I have a HDD that has been split into 3 partitions and I want to remove 2 of the partitions so that there is just one C: drive seeing as the machine is running out of space on each of the partitions which is causing it to run out of virutal memory and crash periodically.
Is there a utility that I can use to do this?

Odin
17-07-2003, 01:48 AM
What OS If it is Win2k or XP then you can use Disk Management to remove the partitions - Right click My Computer - Manage Then click on disk management.

If you are using 95,98 or ME then about the only thing I can think of is to use Partition Magic.

tweak\'e
17-07-2003, 11:58 AM
why not simply move some data from c drive to one with more room?

if ALL the partitons are full then merging partitions is not really going to help much, get a bigger hardrive.

Merlin
17-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Your suggestion only works with dynamic disk - not basic.

Be aware of what you are suggesting

Merlin
17-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Merging and removal are two different actions

While removal can be achieved using any of the standard MS products (either Disk Management or MS FDISK), merging can only be achieved (using the standard MS products) in 2000 and XP and only when the drive is converted to dynamic disk - not basic.

Be aware of what you are suggesting - the indication of the query is to merge existing partitions into a partition the size of the existing hard drive.

Also, the question indicated a problem with virtual memory. While merging could address the memory problem - which appears to be the root problem - there is no guarantee that it will definitely solve the problem.

Disk size, utilisation, operating system used, application software used, multi-tasking attempted, peripherals used plus application configuration settings - and what is used concurrently - will be a move to provide a longterm solution to the problem.

Odin
17-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Which is why I said Remove and NOT merge :D

kiwistag
17-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Although it would take a few orgainising attempts (sit down & work it out first before merging partitions - especially if the data to be merged is bigger than the largest partition's free space). I use Partition Magic Pro & it's a beaut tool. Even does EXT3, has saved me a lot of headaches when I moved to RAID on 1 server.
If you want to move to 1 partition, copy as much data as possible to C: - run Partition Magic & resize (smaller) the other partitions giving the most space possible to C: , rinse & repeat until result is achieved. I think there is a demo/limited/lite version at Powerquest.com website. :P

turangilee
18-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Why not try PartitionMagic 8.0? They have almost everything you wanted!