PDA

View Full Version : Detecting hardware incorrectly and hence preventing driver installation

nfs2k
17-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Hi
I've got this digital voice recorder which has USB interface that allows me to download files onto my computer quick and easily. However when I try to install the drivers required for this, I am unable to do so.

I'm using WinXP professional edition, and when I connect it, it detects something new is connected and just calls it 'USB Device' on the taskbar. Then it comes up and asks for driver, so I choose to install a specific driver on my CD-ROM. When I select 'Next' it says that there is no correct driver for it and won't continue.

I have tried this on a friend's laptop, which uses WinXP professional edition as well and it installs quick and easily - just as USB devices are suppose to be. Plus it detects it correctly.

So can anyone have an explanation for why it is detecting a wrong device and also why it won't allow me to install the specific driver? The driver on the cd is installing hardware under the category of 'USB Flash Memory Controller' - I just thought I would include that, not knowing if it would help or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

greenglass
17-07-2003, 12:54 AM
check bios to see if 'pnp os' is activated

nfs2k
17-07-2003, 01:16 AM
Yeah it is. All my other stuff connected via USB, like webcam, IrDA, digital camera, etc works fine. Its just this gadget not working correctly.

Odin
17-07-2003, 01:31 AM
Are you by any chance plugging the device into the front USB slots of your computer case or the normal ones on the back?

nfs2k
17-07-2003, 01:52 AM
I don't have ones on front of my PC. I've tried plugging into my USB hub (non-powered) which didn't work. And then I tried plugging directly into a free USB port on back of my PC which still didn't make any difference.

Odin
17-07-2003, 01:58 AM
Hmm Well that blows that theory out of the water then. Sorry got no other ideas at this stage as to what the problem could be.

nfs2k
17-07-2003, 02:03 AM
Thanks anyway.
I'm guessing this, but it might be something to do with my motherboard. But ain't sure what it is nor any idea on how to fix it...