PDA

View Full Version : registry cleaning

Craig
16-07-2003, 09:02 PM
is it pretty safe to delete registry files left from uninstalled programs/games?

i know you can download registry cleaners but i'd rather not, and i'm too lazy to export the files for backup.

Pheonix
16-07-2003, 09:07 PM
50/50 Do at your own risk. The registry is one of the most crucial parts of the operating system.
Hey it's your data, feel free to lose it. :D

Rod ger
16-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Working with the Registry is not a casual business. You should make backups before you start( even with Registry cleaner programs). It is VERY easy to get things wrong and the consequences could be catastrophic. So PLEASE take all precautions.

A good cleaner program is probably safer than "a little knowledge"!

kiwistag
17-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Deleting registry files would have you stopping pretty damned quick.
I assume that you wish to delete key entries within your "Hive"?

In the Registry, folders are keys & the Hives are liek your root folders. In most cases if you are good of practice & keen, deleting the likes of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE(or LOCAL_USER)\Software\"OldappData\extracrap" can be OK, after all if you only delete that apps data it should be sweet right?

Nup, it still leaves all the CLSID's in there, registry cleaners are best but if you just delete the entries it'll still leave very hard to find redundant entries in there. It takes me up to 1/2 an hour to manually remove entries from the likes of a failed Norton AntiVirus install...