PDA

View Full Version : installing USB 2.0 card

spooky
16-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Help!! I am trying to install a new DSE USB 2.0 card.
My pc has a spare slot which i used to insert this new card. It was an extremely tight fit and took quite a while to actually seat properly. I left the existing USB 1.1 card in place. When i fired up my pc the 1.1 USB didn't work so i couldn't operate the mouse or keyboard to install the 2.0 version.
What have i done wrong??

Odin
16-07-2003, 04:36 PM
Possibly conflicting with your USB 2.0 card Get a serial or PS2 mouse and plug them in then setup your 2.0 card and see if that works. If you still have problems you may have to remove your 1.1 card. Don't worry as your 2.0 will be backward compatable with 1.1 devices

Graham L
16-07-2003, 04:37 PM
If it was an "extremely tight fit ", and took a while to seat properly, it probably still isn't seated properly. :D

Unplug it. Make sure that nothing is damaged (that is, it will boot up and the USB 1 still works).

Then power down again, remove the USB 1 and put the new one in that slot. I'm assuming that you want to use USB 2.0 :D

A tight slot is probably the product iof a badly aligned motherboard. Nothing should need to be forced in a computer. (Except those Molex Dsik drive power connectors ;-)).

If you can get away with using only one USB card, that's the simplest way.

spooky
16-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Thanks Graham, I'll give that a go.