PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy about clearnet - slow to connect - misleading helpline

weyandt
16-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Customer in Wanganui area on 50h/month plan since Nov. 2002

It usually takes from 2 to 15min until a connection is finally made.

I get different error messages, mostly "remote comuter/Modem failed to respond" sometimes line busy. Sometimes a connection is dropped once established (but only at the beginning of a session).

Spoken to helpline several times. Suggested having the telefone line checked. Also to check whether driver software current. Unhooked telefone in case of disturbances. Re-Newed dialup connection. All to no avail. They said the error messages created by XP as above didn't mean the problem was on their side.

Spoke to helpline again. It's only _now_ that they admitted, that they, um, had been having problems with access in the Wanganui area for some. But let the customer struggle Couldn't tell what was being done about it. Probably nothing, because the problem has persisted for several months now.

Initially I had a similar problem with them, but then it took numerous attempts to get a dial tone. Also took many calls to helpline to establish that telecom wasn't providing enough lines in my area. Now they have it seems.

Add to this the usual helpline blues, having to listen to / suffer through their announcements before speaking to a person, who will then ask all the same old questions again, at times not quite comprehending where the problem was.

Why I am still with them? Lazyness, hope, not in the country for that much longer.

Jim B
16-07-2003, 03:34 PM
No dialtone is a problem at your end, can be caused by messages on call minder, phones not on the hook or phone line connected to the Phone port on the computer instead of Line.
If the modem has not reset it can sometimes be cleared by restarting the computer.

Line busy is what it says, probably due to all lines to Clear being used.

If the modem dials and you can hear the normal modem noises but it fails to connect within 60 sec than it is phone line related, poor quality lines.

Slow your modem connection speed as follows.
For Win XP
Start/ control panels/ phone and modem options
Click on Modem tab and then Properties
Click on Modem tab and change Max port speed to 38400
Click on Advanced
In the Extra initialization commands box enter +MS=V34
Click OK and OK again

Mike
16-07-2003, 04:28 PM
I'm in Tauranga on Clear.Net and have been having the same problems with them here since about Jan or Feb. On one occasion, at least, it took 4 hours to connect properly (sometimes it was busy, sometimes nothing answered, sometimes it answered but the connection didn't complete, and sometimes it'd connect fine only to have me booted within 20 seconds). I have noticed that recently it's gotten better, but that may be just because I don't use it as often now :)

I have thought about changing, but it's a huge hassle at the moment... I might wait until I can afford ADSL or similar.

Sorry I couldn't help, just thought I'd let you know that people are having the same problems in other parts of the country (my dad has had similar problems too, also in Tauranga, so IMHO that rules out a fault at the user's end).

Mike.

beetle
16-07-2003, 09:01 PM
im from wanganui and have given up using clearnet for work, and stick to xtra (groan everyone! ) and have had no probs since the change.

up till then spent hours on the phone with clearnet help line, couldnt connect, line died etc password not valid, address not valid, and constant email connect / not send problems. so have put it on forward all mail to my xtra address.....till end of year probably then get rid of it.

but the help line was inconsistent and didnt understand wot i was telling them, were not able to help me find or change password as they cannot divulge that sort of info over the phone so couldnt check my work mail and so on........

so im not keen on clearnet, as had no problems connecting to xtra same day or minutes after giving up on clear so it wasnt a problem my end or a phone problem, just thier end which they at that stage denied.

but i havent tried them again recently, so dont know if anything has changed yet.

so yes me to, and in wanganui

beetle

PoWa
16-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Just sign up for an ISP that doesn't charge a sign up fee. There are lots around. It'll save you the trouble of not getting online when you want to, and it will be worth it having less stress in your life :)

Rock1
16-07-2003, 10:58 PM
My First ISP was ClearNet. Had the same issues. (Implied it's all My Fault).

Funny that when I changed ISP and NOT other changes at all. I have not had a problem for 18 month.

Funny eh ?

Jim B
16-07-2003, 11:05 PM
I am not with Clear but I can't believe they are as bad as the posts here indicate otherwise they would not have any customers.

There must be some satisfied Clear customers around.

Thomas
16-07-2003, 11:40 PM
We can but await a good comment,can't help feeling we are going to have a long wait.

Trev0
17-07-2003, 12:16 AM
I'm with clear and have had no problems for the year I've been with them, $15 for 150hrs, 56k, connect first time every time, although it is a little slower than usual due to the school hols, I think..
1hr out from chch
was with paradise (paradise lost at the time!)

hope that helps
Trev

Thomas
17-07-2003, 12:20 AM
Looks like Jim is right AGAIN.

Woof
17-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Not in Wanganui but am currently (? temporarily ?) a Cleanet customer.

What bugs me is the slow and interrupted data flow when downloading email. For months it has been getting weaker/slower, last week being abysmal ! Then 'suddenly' on Monday it flew through at a 'normal' rate.
(I'm talking a bunch of emails each with attachments of +/- 1 Mb). No more such emails until next week when the (business) daily flow will resume so fingers crossed that Clear have resolved THEIR issue.

I use a program to visually monitor, amongst other things, the rate and quantity of UNcompressed data between my pc and the internet. With email we are ONLY talking Clearnet to my pc, and yet the flow has been poor to disastrous.

Next week will tell whether or not I'm back on the trail of a reliable ISP to replace Clearnet, another dog

beetle
17-07-2003, 02:20 PM
please let it be known i am not anti clearnet just at that time, we had an awful lot going on and couldnot afford the lack of email facilities,

if in the future i decide to change i will give all ISP suppliiers a fair go and pick the best one that suits me at that time.

and yes i would say thier are happy customers out there Thomas but i am in no hurry to change or bad mouth any specific company (even though rereading my first post is a bit off) i was under stress at that time and did not need any other hiccuphs to impede our progress.
when we stopped using Clearnet that is.

and would hope that in the future all ISP companys can become hassle free for new conections and ongoing support wise.
i beleive all people / companys need to have a fair go to either fix it or replace it whatever the problem may be.... in all industrys not just the computer world as we know it.

have a nice day all.

beetle

Thomas
17-07-2003, 02:50 PM
B.Always say what you mean and mean what you say and don't be naughty;)

beetle
17-07-2003, 09:01 PM
im obviously getting the slow to connect bit in the head at mo Thomas ? :D

i did grumble about haveing difficulties but it was not directly aimed at Clear net.... it was just to say had problems at that stage with that company and as i am in wanganui thought it was also relevent to topic.

can now see i dug a big hole and will be lost in the quagmine forever never to be beetled of again at this rate!!!! ?

and i feel ive done circles and circles ... chasing my tail (do beetles have tails?) on this one and so have lost the plot and need a coffee / chocolate intake for brain to level off or somthink? or even a thought or think? LOL

and how am i being naughty?

lost me T

have to think a bit more on that one..... ?:|

beetle

B.M.
17-07-2003, 09:28 PM
I’m with Clear & Xtra and haven’t had any problems with either.

A mate down the road has the same two ISP'S and is always complaining about both.

I fiddled with his settings turning “connecting to network” “off” and “automatic detect settings” “on” and things improved out of sight.

However, he tells me he is still having some problems with the computer back at his place.

Maybe, one of the guns out there might like to do a FAQ on setting up the ISP connections properly. ;\

By the way our area is Mount Maunganui.

nomad
17-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Wellington. Good as gold. Not a problem I can ever remember this year apart from email server timeouts momentarily.