PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 - moving from extended to primary

jonohill
16-07-2003, 02:41 AM
Why I let my hard drive end up like this I no longer remember:
Partition 1: Windows XP trial version (no longer booting) - primary
Partition 2: Extended partition containing a partition with a functional Windows 2000 installation - Drive letter F.

The computer now seems to boot to the first partition containing ntldr, boot.ini etc and then loads Windows 2000 from its menu, which is the default option.

I would now like to rid myself of this primary partition and have Windows 2000 occupying the first primary partition. I have no idea if it's possible.

Thanks

robo
16-07-2003, 09:09 AM
I think you will struggle. In theory you could install win2k on the primary, then copy everything from the win2k directory on the secondary but I am not convinced it would work and it's a lot of hassle.

Something like Partition Magic might be able to change things for you and make the secondary partition the primary but I am not sure that it would.

I would have said try fdisk but not sure if it is in win2k, just found it isn't in winxp. You need to go into disk management, through computer management in XP. It was disk manager before in NT4, I think. Not sure of name in win2k.
You can right click a partition and change a drive letter there - but not of the disk that has booted. You'll have to boot off F: then change C: to M: then boot off M: and change F: to C: as far as I can tell. So you will need to install a basic copy of win2k on the primary.

Not sure any of this will help but good luck.
robo.

Merlin
16-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Not worth the potential and actual problems due to the multitude of registry entries that need to be altered.

Backup existing important data, repartition, reboot and reinstall.

robo
16-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Aah, good point. Changing the drive letters is one thing, but then everything points to somewhere that things aren't any more, including apps.

That would be a shockingly bad thing to do. Don't know what sort of a moron would suggest it. Must have been too early in the morning.
robo.

The Student
16-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Hi,

The registry would pose a problem.

Though, if you uninstalled any (unrelated Windows applications) and copy the 2000 partition instead, (using PQ Magic) you should be able to run 2000 for a while but not for long.

Odin
16-07-2003, 11:31 AM
I agree with Merlin It isn't worth all the hassles that you are likely to sufffer from if you move the Win2k directory. Back up the important stuff and then repartition and install useing the win2000 cd.

Chilling_Silently
16-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Ive done it with Symantec Ghost, but it caused some big headaches later.

It is possible, but I 100% agree that you should backup and format it :-)