PDA

View Full Version : file MFC42.DLL

SEARAY
15-07-2003, 05:03 PM
When starting up WINDOWS 98 i get a small window informing me i am missing file MFC42.DLL. I note some programs stall because as I'm informed again on screen, file MFC42DLL is missing.
Am I able to install this file in some way, Help !!!

Susan B
15-07-2003, 05:38 PM
If you put the words MFC42.DLL into Google it brings up lots of pages with information. The first two sites look promising, one of them is bound to do the trick.

exLL
15-07-2003, 10:04 PM
It is not that you have lost the windows 98 Paint program is it?

I got that error message when my Paint program refused to open one day. Mine had a bit more than MFC42.DLL listed though.

By searching on Google I managed to fix it. It required a registry key deletion which got rebuilt the next time that the Paint program was started.

Caution! don't alter anything in the registry if you not are entirely sure what you are doing, as damage can occur.

Cheers :)

kiwistag
17-07-2003, 03:45 PM
It seems that a few mfc**.dll's are needed with certain apps. Some are also very 'picky' about the version. Trial & error I have found with a few apps that require it was the key. Especially when I did a search for a mfc42.dll file & found 8 different versions in program directories & the outdated one was in C:\windows\system..