PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my Adaptec direct CD?

ssssss
15-07-2003, 03:36 PM
It can receive copied files (jpgs) from the compter ok, and write them to disc. They are all there at this stage. But then at the end when I want to close the disc, and 'organise the disc so that it can be read in most standard CDrom drives' it loses about one fifth of the files in the process. They just aren't there (or at least can't be seen). Can anyone tell me what is wrong, please?

kiwibeat
15-07-2003, 04:13 PM
pays to save up all file s and then then burn in one hit unless you use a cdrw of course you can try using nero ??

Graham L
15-07-2003, 05:08 PM
It's all rather confusing, isn't it? :D Are the missing files the ones which were written last? If you are doing this by saving a few files, ejecting the disk, reinserting it, writing some more, etc, then at the end of the last writing session you are telling it to finalize it ... phew ... try ejecting it yet again, then reload it, and tell the programme to finalize it only then. Is that convoluted sentence obscure enough? :D

Maybe the programme is getting confused. (Which means that the people who wrote it were confused). Otherwise, writing all in one go should work.

intelliagent
15-07-2003, 06:35 PM
I found Adaptec "leaves out files" and did as others suggested - created a folder on my HardDrive - filled it to near capacity(for the CD) - copied the files in one hit = no more lost data.

ssssss
15-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Yes, am writing all in one go, but still gives lost files.
tried ejecting and reloading, Graham, but that didn't work either.
I may try reinstalling the program.
However I have Adaptec Easy CD creator, so can still use that.
I wonder if the HP CDwriter is at fault?
Thanks - Stephen

parry
15-07-2003, 08:13 PM
This is strange indeed. I havent used EasyCD in a while but with Nero if the filename is long then the program offers to shorten it for you. I wonder if instead of warning you of this EasyCd is just dropping the file?

A long shot I know (no pun intended). Is there anything similar or unusual about the files being dropped?

You mention using DirectCD which is where you can drag and drop files via Windows Explorer and is part of EasyCD Creator functionlity unless your talking of something else again. Are you dragging and droppingor are you using a menu. If a menu which option.

ssssss
15-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Hi Parry,
Adaptec Direct Cd is where you can copy and paste the files after opening the CDrom drive. It warns you when it shortens file names.
Easy CD Creator is where you drag and drop files before clicking 'Create CD'.
The latter is working for me, (Does it shorten long names? I don't know.)
And the former sometimes plays up, and loses whole folders.
Stephen

parry
15-07-2003, 10:02 PM
I see. Perhaps the DirectCD needs an update. Try the Adaptec site and see if they have an update. What O/S - perhaps it doesnt like XP?