PDA

View Full Version : Cheap, Flat-Rate, High-Speed, Internet Service..?

Rank32
15-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Are there any 'underdog' ISP's offering high speed, flat rate internet access..?

I've heard of some in the past but from what I know they've burnt out.

metla
15-07-2003, 03:38 PM
dunno if it meets your requirments but i would look into www.maxnet.co.nz

Unless others with personal experiece found them to be crapola.

flying_green_leprachaun
15-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Im with Walker Wireless on a 256k connection, the ISP is Ezysurf.

$130 a month

not cheap, but its quick & uncapped.

I briefly checked with maxnet, but my monthly bandwidth usage made the CSR I spoke with actually coke & cough. (30Gb UL & 30Gb DL roughly) so they wouldnt take my custom.

Dunno if that rattles ya chain but...

flying_green_leprachaun
15-07-2003, 03:50 PM
<sigh> *choke

kiwibeat
15-07-2003, 04:03 PM
wow talk about getting your moneys worth hope you have a huge HDD

caffy
15-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi,

you can check out this (http://www.netguide.co.nz/isp_directory/index.php?directory=highspeed) directory...it gives you a list of high speed access providers, and their prices.

Mike
15-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Hi,

I did some shopping around a month or so ago and found that Neuron was offering cheaper than the others flat-rate Jetstart (128k)... no caps on international traffic etc.

I don't know what their service is like though, I don't use them.

Mike.

flying_green_leprachaun
16-07-2003, 11:20 AM
well, that page doesnt do walker wireless service.

the $99 for a Gb plan is aimed at businesses its a 2mbps service for someone needing high availability but not using heaps of bandwidth. (or so I understand)

Im not familiar with any of the others so I couldnt say if the chosen plans were representative.

Every now & again I get on my soapbox for Walkerwireless, I have to say of all the Network Providers I have had to deal with. WW really ranks up there.

(but lets not get into ISP's tho, thats a whole nother story X-()

Odin
16-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Orcon, Neuron and Net4U (yes the one that was stealing the bandwith) are offering Jetstart for $19.95 per month with a 5 gig International Cap and Unlimited National. Plus of course the riddiculously overcharged telecom charges.

Orcon also have 5 email aliases. A free 10 meg personal webpage whether you belong to to Orcon or not.

Odin
16-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Oh and btw I'm not with Orcon But if Ihug don't pull finger and match that price then I am going to dump Ihug like a lead brick and sign up with Orcon.

cyberchuck
17-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Hey
Just bear in mind that plans and prices change.
If an ISP is getting mass user sign ups due to their Unlimited Bandwidth Cap on their JetStream Starter services then they are likely to enforce a cap somewhere along the line to ease congestion along their network. This is just to ensure that there is a reliable service available for the rest of their customers and not just those that download the latest linux distro's, movies and everything else that they can get their hands on.
Also, if the ISP offers Unlimited downloads on their services, then most likely they will "restrict" the speeds available to P2P and other such networks.
One such example of this isMaxnet (http://www.maxnet.co.nz/content/1/1/2836.html), who ended up doing this for the reasons described above.

CyberChuck

-=JM=-
17-07-2003, 10:39 AM
If there are still any unlimited ones they won't be around for long as it is just not possible for them to keep it up with the amount of traffic that they'd use.

Odin
17-07-2003, 01:57 PM
There are virtually NO isps left that have an Unlimited International traffic most have been capped from the beginning of this year. It is National data that is uncapped. I don't know of any ISPs that have a national Data cap.

The main reason for the data caps is because telecom didn't have the foresight to see that NZ'rs would take to the high speed internet like a fish to water. Despite the fact that NZ had more people using the internet per population in any delveloped country.

Mike
17-07-2003, 06:43 PM
This is the info I found back in March/April regarding Jetstream Starter (Note Paradise had a cap on both International and Domestic - I have no idea if they still do):

Jetstream Starter Telecom Charges www.jetstream.co.nz
$29.95 per month ($99 setup)

---------------------------------------
Neuron Internet www.neuron.net.nz
$29.95 unlimited

Net4u www.net4u.co.nz
$29.95 unlimited

Maxnet www.maxnet.co.nz
$32.95 per month - 12gb international traffic, domestic traffic unlimited, then $0.20c per mb international

Paradise.net www.paradise.net.nz
$30 per month - 10 gb international and domestic traffic, then $0.20c per mb international, $0.02c per mb domestic

Ihug www.ihug.co.nz
$34.95 per month - 10gb international traffic, then $0.10c per mb. Domestic traffic unlimited

Xtra Jetstream Starter www.xtra.co.nz
$34.95 per month - 5gb international traffic, then $0.10c per mb

Cheers,
Mike.