PDA

View Full Version : wma files not working on another computer

Sam H
15-07-2003, 12:25 PM
OK im trying to help a friend here so I am not completely sure of the circumstances. But he has ripped a music file to wma and sent it on to someone else and that someone else cannot play the file because it states that it is "Trying to use it on a computer it is not registered to"

i made sure that the protect content box was unticked in the copy music options and it was so I'm a bit puzzled as to why it wont let them

any ideas?

tweak\'e
15-07-2003, 05:29 PM
sounds like he ripped it with the copy protection on.

i suggest don't use media player to rip music and don't use WMA as its not very good quality. i prefer to use cdex (http://www.cdex.n3.net/) and rip to Ogg format.

Sam H
15-07-2003, 05:37 PM
my thoughts exactly however he assures me he hasnt touched it, ill get him to try re ripping a couple of songs.

Graham L
16-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Maybe the other computer has the copy protection selected, and won't play "open" files.

Remember Mr Gates and his little friends like copy protection. :D

Odin
16-07-2003, 02:47 PM
The copy protection is on by Default you actually have to disable it (once) when you first install the new media player. If it is on then any files ripped by media will not play on any other computer.

BTW the next verion of windows is going to have this as the default and there will NOT be an option to turn it off.