PDA

View Full Version : Thermal paste for Athlon XP

wintertide
15-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Okay, here's what I've done this time.

I had to get my motherboard's chipset fan fixed, so I took the CPU off the motherboard. I got it back, and reinstalled the CPU and heatsink thinking that since the thermal pad on the heatsink was still there, it would work okay and I could still use my system. I turn it on and it displays that it's working at 55 degrees Celsius while the case temperature is only 18 degrees Celsius. I turned off the system, readjusted the heatsink, and now the CPU shuts itself down within five seconds of powering on the system. I then read the sheet that came with the CPU and it told me that I need to renew the thermal paste everytime I take off the heatsink for any reason.

So, I need to get some thermal paste for an Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and need to get it from a place in Auckland or online from a place that will take direct debit or EFTPOS payments (I have no credit card and I work full time, so I would prefer to get it from a place that either delivers or is open in the weekend).

Another idea that was suggested to me was that I sell my CPU and get another one that already has the thermal paste on it.

Any ideas? Can I just buy some cheap stuff from Dick Smith Electronics or should I get something better like Arctic Silver Arctic III?

-=JM=-
15-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Any good online retailer will be able to do what you're needing. Have a look at Dan's article on thermal transfer compounds to get an insight in to what is good and what is not. Thermal transfer compound comparison (http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm).

CrazySurfaNZ
15-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Hey wintertide,

I would suggest as3, tho.. thats not available from suppliers in nz anymore, its been replaced by Arctic Silver Ceramique (http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_compound.htm) which is a better compond.. completely non conductive.

Anyway, I run Nova PC Power Limited (http://www.novapcpower.com) and can supply you with some of this asap, we take payment by direct deposit.

If youd like some, im happy to supply it to you at $15 including shipping, feel free to email me at sjfarrar@novapcpower.com

Hope that helps.
Stephen

robsonde
15-07-2003, 01:59 PM
studies have showen there is less than 1% diffrence in performance between brands of paste.

DSE sell stuff that works.

only use a tiny spot, too much is worse then none at all.
I find that a blob a bit bigger then a match head is about right.
all you want to do is have a very thin layer between the heat sink and the chip.

bmason
15-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Yes. There seems to be a bit of paranoia about cooling. Unless you're overclocking its not worth it. IIRC the difference between cheap white paste and artic silver was < 5 degrees.

DSE have some cheap silver stuff for ~$5.

Terry Porritt
15-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Also.... you will need to completely remove the existing pad on the heat sink. When new it is soft and pressure and heat softens it further so that the cpu compresses it to a thin film, but it cannot be reused. A razor blade or sharp Stanley knife blade can be used to remove the old pad and then use meths to clean off every trace, before applying any new thermal paste.

There is info at the AMD site for fitting heat sinks, scroll down this
page (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_3734_3748,00.html) to get to a downloadable pdf on the topic (it takes a while)

metla
15-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Another vote here for the cheap stuff from Dick Smith,stuff i have cost about 5 bucks and is in a syringe about the size of a ball point pen.

Ive used this stuff on the last 30 or so pc's ive built and none run hot.

Only problem i had was the sales staff looking at me like i was mad when i asked for some thermal compond to go between a heatsink and a cpu,and i had to go thru the store looking for it myself.....

wintertide
15-07-2003, 04:30 PM
I have just got some thermal paste from work that came with some Pentium and Pentium II chips. Is this okay to use on my heatsink, or should I go out and get some better stuff?

tweak\'e
15-07-2003, 06:21 PM
well i have some elcheapo paste here which i use on older cpu's (its ment to be for transistor etc). its ok on later cpu's but i do find artic silver a lot better. however one small tube is enough for a lifetime amount of cpu's so mayby share the cost with a mate or two.

avoid any thick paste and most thermal pads. they are simply to thick and will casue a increase in temp.

just remeber with the paste thinner is better. you just want enough to fill any microsopic grooves in the cpu and heatsink.

Jen C
15-07-2003, 06:45 PM
You can see here a pictorial guide of How to apply Arctic Silver (http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=8577a19d35736705c8e9f429b352f469&threadid=8740) if this helps.

wintertide
15-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Went down to Dick Smith's tonight on the way home from work (got out early :D) and bought their cheap $5 thermal grease. Layered it on the heatsink where the thermal pad used to be and is about .3mm thick. The CPU used to run at 40 degrees Celsius normal with the thermal pad, however now it runs at 44 degrees Celsius. (This is with a case temperature of 34 degrees).

I also noticed that some of the thermal pastes need time to be able to work at its best and bond to the heatsink. Is this true with the cheap stuff from Dick Smith's, or should I go and buy some Arctic Silver grease to use? (I prefer to have cool CPU temperatures, as my TT Smart Case fans don't really pump that much air into the case).

bmason
15-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Did you clean the heatsink & cpu core before you applied the grease?

Also, you should have applied the grease to the core itself rather than the heat sink. Because you know its lineed up right, and you don't have spare grease squishing around. The silver stuff is conductive!

wintertide
15-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Cleaned the stuff off the heatsink as best as I could, but still a slight residue on it. There was no thermal material that stuck to the top of the CPU, but there was a tiny bit on the sides that I was a bit cautious about taking off (mainly worried about damaging the CPU). There really didn't seem to be enough thermal paste to go all over the CPU as I didn't apply that much - only enough to cover the core and about 5 mm around it so it would properly conduct all the heat.

Mike
15-07-2003, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't worry about 4 degrees. My CPU can vary far more than 4 deg just through regular use.

Mike.