PDA

View Full Version : Xtra - 5 email addresses

bk T
15-07-2003, 12:30 PM
I think Xtra's 5 free email addresses claim is misleading. They are actually providing only ONE email address for each account. The other 4 are alias only.

I am with Xtra for 2 years already and have been thinking that they are providing 5 free email addresses for each account holder until yesterday when I requested for another email address and was told that I have to pay for additional email addresses! I didn't go through all those fine prints when signing up with them - I only look at those bold prints which says: email account with 5 addresses!

Maybe it's my fault for not going through the fine prints?

Chilling_Silently
15-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Yeah, that mis-lead my uncle.

But on the upside, a hotmail account is free and is closely integrated with Xtra, since the whole Xtra/MSN partnership :-)

Only down side is Hotmail has a 2 meg folder-size limit for all your mail!

Kame
15-07-2003, 02:16 PM
They aren't that misleading if you think about what they said.

Email account with 5 addresses.

They didn't say 5 email accounts with an address each, nor did they say email accounts with 5 addresses. They simply just said an email account with 5 addresses. The email account just meaning a mailbox, the 5 addresses are all aliases really, they only redirect the mail to that mailbox (storage).

-=JM=-
15-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Nope not misleading one bit. They provide you with FIVE email addresses. It's just that they're aliases and forward straight on to another email address. They just don't have their own mailbox.

caffy
15-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Some hotmail accounts tend to get spammed a lot...

I read in a computing mag, that they ran a trial. They set up an account with Hotmail and Yahoo. The hotmail account was gettin spammed up to 200 times a day, while they are still waitin to get spam in their yahoo account.

Personally, I wouldn't go for hotmail.

Back on track - I know someone who has one PC at home, and family of 5, they all have their own email addresses (with xtra), coming into the same mailbox...
Maybe this was available before, but not anymore?

Kame
15-07-2003, 02:31 PM
How long ago was that trial done?

I still got an email box from 2000 I think and that's spammed constantly, I got a new one last year and no spam at all.

caffy
15-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Last year, if my memory serves me right.

CYaBro
15-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Watch out for Xtra!!

If you want to have a seperate email address (not just an alias) you have to pay another setup fee of $27.95!! and then it's $2.50 / mth
to keep it active.

Well that's how it was a few weeks ago when I set one up for a client.

Odin
15-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Xtra aren't known for being upfront about thier hidden meanings and terms. If you want 5 Actual and seperate e-mail boxes then sign up with Ihug as each box has its own name that you create and a separate generated password. It's great if you start getting too many spam mails then you can delete it and create a new one. I have one specifically for using on those sites that require a non web based e-mail address.

Jim B
15-07-2003, 04:28 PM
It is misleading as other ISP's do not give aliases as extra addresses so Xtra is out of step with everyone else and causing confusion.

You can of course get an alias with other ISP's if you want it but an extra email address is normally taken as having its own mailbox with its own password and some accounts come with 5 of these true email addresses at no extra cost.

Regardless of the definition or understanding of what email address are it would be more helpful for customers if Xtra stated they were alias email addresses only to avoid confusion, or maybe there is a good reason they do not do this.

lovelee
15-07-2003, 05:58 PM
I have been xtra customer for over 2 years now .. the only reason I dont change is the hassle involved .. set up a business a couple of months ago and used xtra's *free* 0800 number until I got the phone bill in .. and then xtra and telecom advised me its not an 0800 number .. its an 087 number : ( .. recognised by telecom as a *local call* therefore I was charged over 300 dollars for my xtra access that month .. I believe that is misleading.

bk T
15-07-2003, 08:33 PM
>
> ... it would be more helpful for
> customers if Xtra stated they were alias email
> addresses only to avoid confusion ...
>

I agree with you, Jim that Xtra should indicate that it is aliases rather than actual email accounts.

Do we have a case against Xtra re the above?