PDA

View Full Version : Random Restarts & dodgy pc company

Veale
15-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Morning,

Posted yesterday about my mates computer randomly restarting itself. Tried the advise given here but was unsuccessful. Decided to ring the "free" PC Company help line.

Was advised that this number no longer existed and was given an 0900 number instead. It turned out that there was a compatability issue between the motherboard and the RAM and had to alter some BIOS settings. When I asked if the call was covered in the 12 month warranty I was told NO.

This really P*&%s me off, the PC Company makes an error themselves, don't advise its customers and then charges them for the pleasure of fixing what they had caused in the first place!

Whats your thoughts?

Cheers

Veale

JJJJJ
15-07-2003, 11:56 AM
What else did you expect?

godfather
15-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Not acceptable or legal in my opinion.
The Consumer Guarantees Act would apply. You should not have to pay for a fault present when supplied.

Kame
15-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Veale,

I would note the call, and the bill for the phone call. You are covered by the Consumer Guarantee Act, and can be compensated for it. No matter what they tell you, it's not your fault.

What would really P*&%s them off is if you return the computer and ask for your money back, I just know companies don't like losing a sale, but why take that C*&%p from them, if they don't want to cover the costs for their warranty then S*&%w them, find someone else. I believe it's only a few dollars compared to a few thousand for the PC, I'm sure that this wouldn't hurt them to cover it.

tweak\'e
15-07-2003, 12:39 PM
i would be inclind to send it back, get a refund and go eslewhere. fancy billing the customer for a warranty job X-(

KiwiTT
15-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Q: How did the "PC Company" do in the sPC World service and reliability awards.

I purchased from TL Systems because I actually got good service from them repeatedly.

Next time ask around about service quality. i.e. post to this forum. If possible purchase locally in your area, so you can eyeball your vendor when you get a problem. It is amazing what level of service you get when you can see the person and they can see you.

metla
15-07-2003, 08:24 PM
Id be inclined to abuse the **** outta them,then crank up the stereo with some fine heavy f'n* metal and drink a couple cold beers...while musing on the injusticies of the world and the Irish potatoe shortage of 1886**

*friggen
**1886?.......actually,i have no idea what year it was that England destroyed the irish potatoe crop and caused a famine.........Perhaps more musing needed....

PoWa
15-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Regards to the 0900 line, they do have a free email tech support service. Check their website. :|

So you did have a choice. But the way they are behaving, make a fuss and get a refund for the whole pc. Then buy something better using KiwiTT's advice. ;) It'll serve them right.

Veale
16-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Yere, was aware of the free e-mail option, but when your computer is restarting itself every few minutes then theres not really any point in trying to e-mail them.

Anyway I made use of their free e-mail service yesterday and gave them some free abuse, politely of course! Free use of expletives left me free to think about other things.

B^%#$trds

Still waiting for a reply

Cheers

Veale

Odin
16-07-2003, 01:25 PM
PC Co customer service and support is the pitts. I had to setup and install over 200 of their PCs and about 97 of them were faulty and these were NEW. I'd simply pack up the computer take it back down to the PC company dump the piece of crap on thier desk and say fix this heap or give me my money back. Don't ask for their advice as none of them there know anything about anything.

kiwistag
17-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Heh, yeah, we had a service contract @ where I work, the amount that were days old & had faulty CD-RW drives, RAM or AMD processors (especially the nice ones where the CPU fan stops going!) Reinstalls, new PSU's, (RAL) flakey monitors, etc.

They might be a 'good' company business practice wise - after all in effect they are making a 'profit' at the consumers expense. Buy well, buy reliable & buy with KNOWN hardware brands. 1/2 of the motherboards that I've seen in the machines I've never heard of..